Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Post getting attacked on computer
Posted 2003-11-11, 08:18 PM
hey, i have norton and quite a few times now im getting attacked by like trojans like backdoor and subseven and some other minor things but norton blocks it but like i dont even do anything and why do i keep getting attacked?? wtf!?!?!? in my old computer it never happen to me or anything or i dont think it did so why would it start now?> i only do the same things too, but i get the ip that it is coming from and i was wondering can i do anything with that ip? like find out where it is coming from? or anything? but plz can someoen ask this to like a lot people that know about stuff because i dont think many people come to the help forum
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2003-11-11, 08:26 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
Stop downloading applications from the internet.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-11-11, 08:32 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
It sounds like your on a high speed internet connection and you have your computer either directly connected to the modem itself, a hub, or a switch.

With any high speed internet connection nowadays you pretty much have to have a router with a built in firewall.

You can get a D-Link DI604 or 704P pretty cheap.

This problem is most common on newer computers as the new viruses are designed to take advantage of current exploits, and Norton although it detects and removes viruses can not prevent them from coming in, as a lot of these new viruses don't rely on you to open files or run programs, they just scour the range of public IP addresses on the net, and check each IP in those ranges for open ports and security holes.

The reason a Router solves this problem, is because instead of your PC getting a publich range IP address from your ISP, the router gets that IP address. Your PC in turn gets a private range IP address directly from the router.

This way nasty viruses and such can only talk to the router and not your PC.
A+ Certified PC Tech Guy/Seitentaisei
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-11-11, 08:33 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
I bet he has Windows Messenger still enabled, too...

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-11-12, 06:26 AM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
what does window messenger has to do with it? are you talking about like the msn one? the one with the green person icon? but i think i use a hub it has lots of plugs to put the ends of your like 4 network cables and then for the cable modem plug and then the power, thats a hub right? what do i do? but my brother has the same thing and he never gets attacked?? we use the hub to share a internet connection
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2003-11-12, 08:24 AM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
I've been getting the same this, Backdoor/Subseven and GateCrasher, its a trojan.. My FW blocks them, what i do is get the IP Address, do a trace find out where there coming from, and whn you get the host name, email the abusse support. i had 686 attemps the other night, with GateCrasher. i thinks it's funny, and i enjoy watching noobs try..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-11-12, 04:40 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
it wont be funny when my norton expires and i dont have it anymore, i dont get it why am i getting hacked!!! on my old computer it didnt happen at least i dont think it did because i did virus scans some times but i also used a hub on my old computer
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

iceman887

Posted 2003-11-12, 05:23 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
Download black ice defender, blocks all of that bs....

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-11-12, 11:05 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
A software firewall will help but is not a good answer.

Software firewalls today can easily be circumvented and utilize valuable system resources.

Replace your Hub with Router that has a built in Firewall. I've already explained the solution to your problem very clearly.

As for what RoboticSilence was referring to, no, he does not mean MSN Messenger. He is talking about a service called Messenger that starts up by default on 2k and XP based systems unless it is disabled through the Services option under Admin Tools. Windows Messenger is meant to allow networked computers to send popup messages to each other, but because ISPs are total dicks they allow advertising companies to broadcast messages across the puplic IP range which causes ads to pop up on your computer in grey boxes if you have Messenger Service enabled.

Anyways, that thing you described with 4 cables could be a hub, a switch, or a router. If it is a hub or switch, replace it with a router. If it's a router, then it isn't configured to act as a DHCP server and is still allowing your PCs to lease IP address directly from the ISP.

As for your brother not having these problems, if he is running an older version of windows, or doesn't have Media Player 9 installed, those would be the most obvious reasons for him not having any problems, although it could be 1 of a million other things.

The bottom line is that nowadays if you have a high speed internet connection you absolutely need a Router with built in Firewall features. Software Firewalls will get you by, but like I said, they are much easier to circumvent, and use system resources which you wouldn't have to use at all if you had a Router with built in Firewall.

Again, D-Link 604 Cable/DSL Router would be perfect for you. Or if you prefer check out some Linksys routers. Your best bet is probably to go to a computer store and tell them you need a Router with built in Firewall for your high speed internet at home and that you only need 4 ports and they should be able to get it for you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-11-13, 05:22 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
well my friend said if you get like a router firewall you cant create like multiplayer game rooms like on warcraft 3 or people cant join your rooms like in counterstrike or something but if you get software you can but is there a way to still create rooms and let people join with a router? and what does circumvented mean?
and also how do i know if i had windows messenger enabled or what? and so would if i get a router i would beable to share internet connection with my brother still? and also my brother has the same windows as me, windows xp pro hey and thx man you smart

Last edited by iceman887; 2003-11-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

iceman887

Posted 2003-11-13, 11:31 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
If you go the router you both would still be able to share internet access.

AS for the Dlink routers, I like them a lot because they let traffic out, and let expected traffic in. For example, I haven't had to do anything extra to play FFXI Online, whereas some people have had to open ports and such.

If a game won't run through the router you can open the ports it requires.

Circumvent = bypass, etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sqrl

Posted 2003-11-14, 07:30 AM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
is opening ports easy to do?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

iceman887

Posted 2003-11-14, 07:51 AM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
Go buy RVG Virus protector, they where rated #1 on www.cnet.com, you can get the free trial or buy it for only 25 bucks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-11-19, 06:07 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
well holy crap man i just got attacked again and it was by netbus trojan thing and i wasnt even using any sort of internet thing except aol instant messanger........geez but i did find out like where it was from and what the isp the person uses and that persons ip, could i do anything with that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

iceman887

Posted 2004-01-04, 06:04 PM in reply to iceman887's post "getting attacked on computer"
ARGE! i have a Linksys Dsl Router and i am trying to allow the FFXI ports to go through but its still notr working. im doing what it says. but its still being stupid. any one know exactly what im suposed to do?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jet87 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJet87 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jet87