Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Dragonlance?
Posted 2006-03-11, 02:51 PM
I just finished the Forgotten Realms Drizzt series by Salvatore. What a great series. Now I am thinking of buying the Elminster series by the Forgetten Realms creator.... Ed Greenwood or something like that. But I have heard alot of good shit about Dragonlance, can someone explain to me what it is... is it a Dungeons and Dragons campaign or something else? It is multiple authors writing books within the same world such as Forgotten Realms or just one? How many books are there, and what order should I read them in?

Hopefully one of the readers out there can answer some of those questions... maybe Bob can... thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-03-11, 03:00 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Dragonlance?"
Dragonlance falls under the exact same category as Forgotten Realms. It is a D&D Campaign and there also are multiple authors for the novels. That's about the extent of my knowledge though, never played Dragonlance.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2006-03-14, 03:55 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Dragonlance falls under the exact same..."
Well it might be a D&D Campaign but i have also read about 12ish Dragonlance books. They are fantasy adventure books like Lord of the Rings. Personally i like them more than LoTR, but that was just the ones written by Margert Weis and Tracy Hickman. While you can really start with any series i personally started with Dragonlance Chronicles Volume 1: Dragons of Autumn Twilight. It was such a good book that i read volume 2 and 3 in about 2 days each beacuse they were so interesting and i just couldnt wait to read what happened next.

If you just wanna read one to see if you like them out i would personally recomend my favorite which is The Soulforge (Dragonlance: The Raistlin Chronicles, Book 1). It is kind of like a back story to two of the major characters to the chronicles Volume 1 as well as has some of potential spoilers if you havent read chronicles, but if your anything like me you will definately want to read this one after you read the chronicles series because honestly Raistlin is one of the most interesting characters i have ever read about.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2006-03-14, 06:41 AM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "Well it might be a D&D Campaign but i..."
Me said:
Dragonlance
-------------------------
Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Spring Dawning
Soulforge
Brothers in Arms
Time of the Twins
War of the Twins
Test of the Twins
Dragons of Summer Flame
The Second Generation
Dragons of a Fallen Sun
Dragons of a Lost Star
Dragons of a Vanished Moon

I've got a couple handfulls more of good Dragonlance books to suggest, but these are the best ones (and mostly in series). If you finish all of these, I can reccomend some more good ones that sort of just jump around in the series or have new characters, but the general rule of thumb that I go by is that if it's not written or edited by Weis or Hickman, and it doesn't have any of the "original characters," (Raistlin, Caramon, Dalamar, Tasslehoff, Flint, Tannis, and Sturm (I don't care so much for Riverwind or Goldmoon) ) then I won't read it.
That's the order I'd reccomend reading them in. I agree that they're better than FR books, and if there were more that I haven't read, I'd be on them now.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-14, 07:49 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "That's the order I'd reccomend reading..."
That is actually pretty close to the order that i read them in. with the exception of Dragons of summer flame lol damn people shouldn't name 3 books in one series with seasons then name another book in a different series with the last season. Boooo, but anyway yeah that is an awesome order to read them in.

Btw MB have you by chance read the newest margaret weis book that has mina in it? It is called ashes something, was just wondering if it was any good because i have heard alot of mixed reviews about it.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2006-03-14, 08:56 AM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "That is actually pretty close to the..."
I *don't* think I've read it, but I'd have to look when I get home. How new is it?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-14, 09:15 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I *don't* think I've read it, but I'd..."
So these books are a lot like LOTR? May have to pick one up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-14, 04:14 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "That's the order I'd reccomend reading..."
Medieval Bob said:
That's the order I'd reccomend reading them in. I agree that they're better than FR books, and if there were more that I haven't read, I'd be on them now.
I am ordering those books right now. Thanks for the intel. Also I had heard of the Majere bros before, just didnt know they came from Dragonlance, so that makes me more inclined to read them now. I always see Raistilin characters on various online games you know...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-03-14, 05:17 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I am ordering those books right now...."
Its a very good series. I love it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2006-03-14, 06:17 PM in reply to platnum's post starting "Its a very good series. I love it."
Is it actually about dragons? .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-14, 06:28 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Is it actually about dragons? :p."
I'd assume there are dragons in it, but not the main focal point.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-03-14, 06:31 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I'd assume there are dragons in it, but..."
Does it have dwarves, elves, and all that lot too? :O
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-14, 06:45 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Does it have dwarves, elves, and all..."
It is a D&D campaign setting... so I'd say it has elves, dwarves, gnomes, humans, drow, dragons, dungeons, demons, devils, mages, archers, fighters, rouges.... get my drift? Anything that D&D usually has this should have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-03-15, 03:14 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "It is a D&D campaign setting... so I'd..."
yeah your right it has most of those and some new ones. One being Kenders. Kenders are one of the most interesting races i have read about, so innocent and yet devilish at the same time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

tidus2005

Posted 2006-03-15, 07:38 AM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "yeah your right it has most of those..."
Kenders are teh pwn. Gnomes are awesome too, but you won't get to them until a good bit later in that list.

The last few books I listed on there have the most orientation to dragons... obviously. Oh, and Majere Brothers FTW. After you read those first 8 books, you will have so much more admiration for Raistlin. It's really not possible to believe how awesome he is without reading the books.

Wayne and Garth said:
We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-04-20, 06:57 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I am ordering those books right now...."
Just wondering how you like the books SYG.

Also i just finished Amber and Ashes , it was a pretty good book. However not as good as the first few i read. It is kind of different in the fact that with out Tracy, Margaret seems to add a more sensual aspect to the story.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

tidus2005

Posted 2006-04-21, 12:49 AM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "Just wondering how you like the books..."
Havnt read them yet. There sitting on my bunk in Kuwait, and I just happen to be in germany on R&R. Well I go back tomorrow
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy