Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Play SNES games on your Playstation 2!
Posted 2006-07-25, 07:05 PM
That's right! Now you can turn your Playstation 2 into a multi-console gaming system..."WTF!?" you say? I know, it sounds too good to be true, but it's acctually quite simple, unless your average IQ is less than 12 1/2.

Anyway, Here goes:

PSNES2
By kaos

Pre-Step: This tutorial is mainly for modded PS2s. But, an alternative to reading CD-R's with a PS2 without a modchip is simple. If you have a Gameshark, or Action Replay CD. Just insert the Gameshark in first, then at the menu screen you don't have to do shit except press "Start Game". Now just remove the Gameshark disc and insert your SNES CD-R disc and it will be readable! Now, if you're a bitch and don't have a Gameshark or Action Replay, then you can download a utility for making CDs bootable for those without a modchip. There really isn't anything to stop you from continuing, so don't PM me saying you got stuck or something.

Step 1: First, we need an SNES emulator made specifically for the PS2 console. "onO!!1 I r NoT hAVe it Teh PS@ meluLATOR!!!". Well, It's your lucky day. Because here's a link for "an SNES emulator made specifically for the PS2".

Step 2: Now that you have the SNES emulator, the next step is to find some SNES ROMS. You can download these from around 4 trillion sites. Just search google. But just in case you do have an IQ of less than 12 1/2, Here's a couple of sites that you can download the ROMS from:

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms.html
http://www.nerologic.com/

I have 150+ games on one CD! Kinda little though since one CD can fit over 600+ games. I also prefer using LimeWire or any other P2P program. You can find Zipped Files with 200-300+ games in them (Each game is around 2-3 MB)

Step 3: You now have everything you need to start playing classic games. All we need now is to write all the files into a CD, and start playing! I recommend using Nero since it owns all the other burning software. I will cover both CD writing tutorials for modded and un-modded consoles below.

Creating a CD for Modded Consoles:

For this guide I will work through the procedure using Nero Burning Rom. But a similar method can be followed using most other CD recording applications.

1. Open up Nero and make sure "CD-ROM (ISO)" is selected and that "No Multisession" is selected.

2. Click on teh ISO tab in the New Compilation Wizard. Make sure that "Mode 2/XA" and "ISO 9660" are selected. If you are using long filenames, select "ISO Level 2" and "Joliet".

3. Click "New".

4. Over in the File Browser, browse to your SNES-Station folder and drag n drop the following stuff (order doesn't matter in this case):

SYSTEM.CNF
INSTALL.CNF
SNES_EMU.ELF
Make a new folder and name it ROMS. This will be the folder you will place all of your ROM files in.

5. Now you're ready to burn the CD. Click on File>Write CD or click the little button in the toolbar to burn your CD. Make sure the options "Write" and "Finalize CD" are checked, and that "Disc at Once" is selected as the Write Method.

Creating a CD for Un-Modded Consoles:

Unfortunately there is no easy way to create a CD with long filenames for un-modded consoles, so this restricts the length of the names used for your ROM files.

This method uses the freeware CDGenPS2 (link in Pre-Step) to create a CD which may be loaded on an un-modded console. However this does assume you know how to load CD-Rs on your un-modded console (no you cannot just load the CD-R directly!).

1. Open up CDGenPS2. Browse to your SNES-Station folder and drag and drop the following stuff (order DOES matter in this case).

SYSTEM.CNF
SNES_EMU.ELF
Your ROM folder with ROMs in it.

2. You must limit the amount of ROM file you put on the CD due to the TOC limit of your boot disc. This is generally about 70 minutes or about 600mb worth.

3. After dragging the files and directories, right click on the SYSTEM.CNF entry and click "Edit". Check the "Fix LBA" box and type in "12231" then hit "OK". This is particularly important for those of you still using old versions of the Gameshark2/Action Replay 2.

4. You can also change the name of the volume from CDGENPS2 by clicking the "VOL" button.

5. Once you're all set to go, click the IMG button. Remember where you save the BIN file. This step might take a while, depending on how big your image will be. Also, it may seem that the program is freezing up - this is normal. Just let it do its thing.

6. Now burn the image you've just created using your favorite CD burning utility (ie. Nero, CDRWin, etc.). Remember to set the writing method to "Disc at Once".

FINISHED

Yay! Now what are you waiting for? Go play some SNES! Chrono Trigger, Gradius III, Donkey Kong 1-3...sex.

I might link other PS2otherConsole emulators soon. But till then, Have fun.

Last edited by kaos; 2006-07-25 at 07:20 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2006-07-25, 09:16 PM in reply to kaos's post "Play SNES games on your Playstation 2!"
U r trojanz lol?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-07-25, 09:23 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "U r trojanz lol?"
Lol @ troJAN but no no

It's no trojan. Just got bored and decided to make a tutorial 'cause I didn't know if this was like known and it amezed me when I did it . Btw, I've never heard of a PS2 Trojanz o_o...

EDIT: Damn, I reread my post and realized I need sleep...

Anyway, Heres a link to all the PS2 Other-Console emulators:
http://www.zophar.net/consoles/ps2.html

So, if you don't trust me you don't have to download from any of the links I give you. Just google the programs and download.

Last edited by kaos; 2006-07-25 at 09:29 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2006-07-25, 11:10 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Lol @ troJAN but no no It's no..."
Using CD-R's in a PS2 will kill the ROM drive.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2006-07-26, 03:56 AM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "Using CD-R's in a PS2 will kill the ROM..."
How is that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kaos

Posted 2006-07-26, 09:13 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "How is that?"
Why do that when I have an SNES only 30 feet away from me in another room?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-07-26, 11:17 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "How is that?"
I don't know how or why, but I'm going to go with Dar_Win on that - it's happened to me.

And anyway, that's what the PS1 is for.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-07-26, 01:12 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I don't know how or why, but I'm going..."
Can you do this on a Ps1, Psx? I don't have a Ps2 but I do Gotzez a Psx... Is there a GBA emulator for the Ps?

Moo.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-26, 02:14 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Why do that when I have an SNES only 30..."
HandOfHeaven said:
Why do that when I have an SNES only 30 feet away from me in another room?
It's not about the console, it's so you can play rare games. I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger right now. Sure you can do it on computer, but I kind of like the idea of using a gamepad and a TV screen better. But that's just my opinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kaos

Posted 2006-07-26, 03:55 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "It's not about the console, it's so you..."
That's really nifty. I guess I'll just wait until the Wii comes out and I can purchase the games.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-07-26, 03:59 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "That's really nifty. I guess I'll just..."
I hate playing my GBA games on my SP or DS, But I don't have a GBA Player for my Gamecube.... Oh yeah. Wii!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-26, 04:12 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I hate playing my GBA games on my SP or..."
They should make a fucking XBox and Gamecube emulator for PS2 .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kaos

Posted 2006-07-27, 01:38 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "They should make a fucking XBox and..."
Sony would be rise it's blood encrusted triumph flag once again. Only to be fucked up in the face by Nintendo's Wii. With life-like shooting pleasures!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-27, 01:46 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Sony would be rise it's blood encrusted..."
I hear English is a popular language on these boards.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-07-28, 02:24 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I hear English is a popular language on..."
yes, so it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-07, 11:58 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting ":weird: yes, so it is."
How would i Play My Snes Roms on my PS1, I have the Original and a Device that goes into the Back, That is how i plays me Import Games
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
finalratt is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfinalratt is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

finalratt

Posted 2006-08-07, 03:21 PM in reply to finalratt's post starting "How would i Play My Snes Roms on my..."
Do you guys know if there's special-crafted PS2 emulators for other systems? I'd really dig playing Blast Corps on my PS2, or Hybrid Heaven.

Also, the link for the emulator in your post is to a corrupted file so I took the liberty of finding a replacement. You guys can use this one instead.

Il papa caca nei legno?

Last edited by RoboticSilence; 2006-08-07 at 04:12 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2006-08-07, 05:34 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Do you guys know if there's..."
Ah, sorry. I had to zip the downloaded emulator I had because it wouldn't let me link to the emulator site.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kaos

Posted 2006-08-10, 03:28 AM in reply to kaos's post "Play SNES games on your Playstation 2!"
Well

a) You can do that with xbox and it's been possible for about three to four years now

b) I don't know why you'd want to do that with your xbox

c) On your computer(the magic box you're using right now) it takes about 10minutes to search, download, and set up your controls to play any SNES game known to MAAAN.

d) You can also buy SNES controllers or buy a cheap $10 controller somewhere to help simulate the experience.

e) all of the above

So use your computer to play SNES games... or... you know... feel free to blow up your PS2 trying to do it on there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2006-08-10, 10:55 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Well a) You can do that with xbox..."
And don't forget the PC would probably be slightly quicker, with a chance of better graphics.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny