Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2007-08-23, 11:56 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "We need front page articles. And we..."
Why hasn't anyone mentioned reviews yet? (Aside from my hypothetical book club.) Game reviews, movie reviews, book reviews. Definitely with unique elements that separate us from other, more established review sites. 20-word reviews? Image-only reviews?

If this works out, we could attract a lot of attention. If it goes exceptionally well, publishers may in turn contact us and give us pre-release games, possibly invite Zelaron reviewers to screenings and such. Either way, we don't have anything to lose. The forum will still be around.

As for front page articles and news; they will definitely be there.

Titusfied said:
Customizable stock ticker that enables you to pick which ones you want to monitor on top of the market as a whole.

Sports ticker with updated scores on all or any games you choose.
Weird, you posted that while I wrote my list of ideas with the stock monitoring element. Stock and sport tickers/marquees do sound better than separate pages. The fewer clicks required, the better.

Anyway, I know you have more ideas! What are they?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2007-08-24 at 12:01 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2007-08-24, 10:33 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why hasn't anyone mentioned reviews..."
For the reviews, we have them already, and there's only like two members that can actually sit down and write good material..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-24, 02:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "For the reviews, we have them already,..."
Well, no. I think the case is that there's only two members who will take the time to sit down and write good material.

If all of us put aside time to do it, then we'd have 30 or so members sitting down and writing good material.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-08-24, 02:46 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well, no. I think the case is that..."
It'd be like homework!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-24, 02:57 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "It'd be like homework!"
Oooh! We could do that!

Have a rating system put in place, with a grade for the number of good ratings you get! Say 80% of your ratings are positive, then you're on track for an A, but if only 60% are positive, then you're on a C.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-08-25, 01:18 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oooh! We could do that! :D Have a..."
We would need Raziel back to write most of the reviews, or to at least grade and redline all the ones that get submitted.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-08-25, 01:24 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "We would need Raziel back to write most..."
This needs to be the main page:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-25, 01:46 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well, no. I think the case is that..."
Lenny said:
Well, no. I think the case is that there's only two members who will take the time to sit down and write good material.

If all of us put aside time to do it, then we'd have 30 or so members sitting down and writing good material.
I know personally I could write decent reviews for material I know relatively well. I guess you're right, most of us just don't want to take the time to sit down and actually write stuff up.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-26, 04:43 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I know personally I could write decent..."
If there were a manga / anime section on the portal I'd be more then willing to update it with new fansubs and scanlation lists. Nothing would be hosted on the zelaron servers, only links to sites.

I'll draw some idea up later today when I'm bored.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-08-26, 08:11 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "If there were a manga / anime section..."
Well, I already have a script to leach Animesuki's data and make it many times more usable. The only work that would need to be done is anime that they don't cover, which will mostly be licenced.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-08-28, 08:09 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "WW, you see no reason to do anything as..."
ORLY?

Come on guys, we need more good ideas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-08-29, 01:20 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why hasn't anyone mentioned reviews..."
I'll write reviews. I can't promise the topics will be current or consistent, but I watch enough movies and read books often enough to provide something at least. Not sure how this would help a revamped portal, but I'll see if I can get to work on something soon. (Halfway through Ender's Shadow right now).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-08-31, 11:25 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why hasn't anyone mentioned reviews..."
I remember when we had a Review forum. I contributed a bit to that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-03-11, 09:02 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why hasn't anyone mentioned reviews..."
I like the game reveiws idea! The ability to look at what people think of games without bothering to search for it would be nice. Maybe also some by zelaron members. That could be the reward for 3 rep bars!
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-12, 07:49 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I like the game reveiws idea! The..."
Having Zelaron members do the reviews is the idea...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-16, 08:31 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Having Zelaron members do the reviews..."
Bump! WetWired has worked quite a bit on the portal project, which I haven't had time to be involved in for a long while now.

Anyway, here is a list of the suggested features, arranged by myself based on how important I regard them as:

Very important:
  • Pre-selected Google search field (Replaces the need for using Google as your start page)
  • Reviews by members (Games, movies, books)
Useful:
  • Customizable module layout of portal index
  • Customizable calendar with personal notes
  • Easily reachable arcade games
  • Software downloads
  • Shipment tracking
  • Gmail login
  • User-definable RSS feeds
  • Torrents
  • Local weather and news reports
Unnecessary but possibly interesting:
  • Customizable member profile pages (e.g. username.zelaron.com)
  • Wallpapers
  • Customizable stock ticker
  • Sports ticker
  • Dictionary
  • Babelfish translation
  • Links to funny videos (Or videos in general? Some kind of YouTube integration?)
  • Links (To general, useful sites)
Available:
  • Perfect integration with forum database
  • Portal styles match forum styles
  • Recent threads
  • Weekly poll
  • Wikipedia search
  • Private messages
  • Birthdays
  • Buddy list
  • Activity bars
  • Shoutbox
  • Users online
  • Community statistics (Member, thread and post amount; newest member)

Post more ideas!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-03-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-16, 10:34 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Bump! WetWired has worked quite a bit..."
How are reviews going to be done? Within the portal itself?

I said a couple of days ago, in the Chatbox, that we ought to resurrect the Reviews forum, seeing as it generated quite a bit of activity in its time. If it is resurrected, then it could be linked with the Portal - the newest/highest rated/most viewed/most replies Reviews on the front page, maybe a specific Reviews page with the latest reviews/see above, and then a link to the actual forum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-16, 06:49 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "How are reviews going to be done?..."
I had been posting some game reviews/impressions on 1up, but their site's gone all batshit, so I wouldn't mind posting here. Just need to finish some more games. And write stuff.

And I'm all about the customizable RSS.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-03-19, 01:17 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I had been posting some game..."
Lenny said:
How are reviews going to be done? Within the portal itself?

I said a couple of days ago, in the Chatbox, that we ought to resurrect the Reviews forum, seeing as it generated quite a bit of activity in its time. If it is resurrected, then it could be linked with the Portal - the newest/highest rated/most viewed/most replies Reviews on the front page, maybe a specific Reviews page with the latest reviews/see above, and then a link to the actual forum.
Sounds excellent! Currently, moderators and administrators are able to choose specific threads to add to the news feeds on the portal, thanks to WetWired's customization. That is, a brief (currently (up to) 800 characters) version of the first post of a thread will show up on the portal as a news entry. Something similar could be done for reviews.

Vault Dweller said:
I had been posting some game reviews/impressions on 1up, but their site's gone all batshit, so I wouldn't mind posting here. Just need to finish some more games. And write stuff.

And I'm all about the customizable RSS.
Great, that's promising. I'll likely be able to do some album (mostly electronica/ambient) reviews, and post about interesting art events and/or links.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-19, 01:23 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Sounds excellent! Currently, moderators..."
Keep working hard! This will improve my connection to what is happening in the outside world. I didn't even know Brawl was going to exist until a month before the release.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin