Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Post Comp Q
Posted 2003-01-24, 08:46 PM
If you're building your own comp hardware wise what else would you need besides the stuff that's already on my list?

Hard Disc:
RAM:
MotherBoard:
Case:
Cpu:
CD-RW:
Floppy Disk:
Network Card:
Audio Card:
Video Card:
keyboard:
Monitor:
USB:

Software:
Drivers, OS, ????
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2003-01-25, 08:21 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
You'll of course need an OS of some sort. Drivers should be included with the hardware.

Need a printer?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-01-25, 08:36 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Some decent speakers... a laser mouse... a second CD drive...

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-01-25, 08:38 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Keyboard

and I'd personally put a second drive in as a DVD-ROM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-01-25, 08:41 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Power, usually comes with case though, but make sure it's enough.

Fans, if you have a lot of heat better get 1 or 2 in addition to any component fans.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
drivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendrivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

drivehappy

Posted 2003-01-25, 11:17 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Thanxz for the help it's all great but right now I am just trying too direct my attention towards what belongs in the case not all the other peripherals and a little on the software that I don't want too miss out on (and is basically required for a common comp/ not included with os)

I am kind of on a budget so if some one could go into more detail about the Needs, the Would be nice too have in, and only buy this if you have parents like TacoX...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2003-01-26, 12:03 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Well here's what I do when making my computers:

I usually goto www.tigerdirect.com, they have a large supply of computer components and it's a good source for quality stuff. They have motherboard/cpu bundles that save you some money and the good thing about it is that the cpu will work with your motherboard. But anyhoo.

I would get at least a 1.4g AMD, I don't like Intel that much since the AMD's go faster and are cheaper (Intel uses their logo to jack up the price).

Get a Radeon or Geforce video card, at least a 64mb.

Sound card, doesn't really matter.. I can't really tell the difference between the quality anyways.

Mouse- get a optical one.

Keyboard- internet based is nice.

Moniter at least a 17", make sure it will support the resolutions you might be using.

Harddrive- 60g at least, try for the 7600 rpm or higher.

CDROM 56x. CDRW anything above 10x write is good enough. Floppy drive. Zip if you use it a lot, get a 250- I've heard the new ones (750?) dont write to 100 discs.

Ram- at least 256k

Network card- 10/100 at least

Fan- At least one fan for the components, either attached to the back or on a HD.

Case- ATX is the standard, make sure theres a power supply with it. Also see if you can get one that has cooling components.

Cost for what I listed: about $600
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
drivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendrivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

drivehappy

Posted 2003-01-26, 12:13 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Just buy a 386 then overclock that shit to 3.4ghz
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-01-26, 09:58 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
Thanxz Drive that helps a great deal

only thing is that your link doesn't seem to be working
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2003-02-01, 09:23 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Comp Q"
um... tigerdirect uses some crappy stuff. heck, you'd generally find better stuff at pricewatch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mightychicken