Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Easiest to Learn?
Posted 2004-10-18, 06:55 PM
i was wondering which programing language is supposed to be easiest for newbs to learn. from most people i have talked to they seem to think that Visual Basics is a good first language to start out with because it is easy to learn.

i have read part of a book that deals with C++ and it seemed to be fairly easy to learn but then again the programs that it had me build where all printed out so all i had to do was type them into the computer. and i didnt really understand what i was doing or why because the book didnt explain it very well. it was called SAMS teach yourself C++ in 24 hours.

So i was just wondering what your guy's opinion on what a good language for beginers would be and what books/internet sites i should read.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-10-18, 08:55 PM in reply to tidus2005's post "Easiest to Learn?"
This forum is so dead...

Anyways i would recommend that you start with visual basic as it is the easiest to learn. The syntax is more english like understandable. Don't let anyone tell you that you can master vb in a short time though because thats bullshit, there is so much with it exspecially when you factor in api functions.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
nddwind is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweennddwind is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

nddwind

Posted 2004-10-18, 08:57 PM in reply to nddwind's post starting "This forum is so dead... Anyways i..."
nddwind said:
This forum is so dead...

Anyways i would recommend that you start with visual basic as it is the easiest to learn. The syntax is more english like understandable. Don't let anyone tell you that you can master vb in a short time though because thats bullshit, there is so much with it exspecially when you factor in api functions.

VB would not be my personal choice to start out with. It restricts you to a windows environment, and many people say it "babys" you too much. While it is a good language, I don't reccomend learning it as your first language. C/C++, Java or Python would be my personal reccomendations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-10-18, 09:34 PM in reply to tidus2005's post "Easiest to Learn?"
I started with good 'ol DOS Advanced BASIC.

I personally suggest you find yourself a copy of qbasic (it came with all MS-DOS versions 5.0 and above) and start with that. The language is simple, and you don't have to learn about Windows at the same time; just a nice, friendly console with 80 columns, 25 lines, and 16 colors.

C is hardly a good language for a beginner. Besides the fact that the syntax is very cryptic, it exposes the user to more details of implentation and more (relatively) dangerous constructs than the beginner needs to deal with.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired