Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Homework
Posted 2005-02-10, 07:54 PM
Well I know there are some people that are in advanced science, and this is only basic.

1.I dont have my Science Book and my HW is due tomorrow. Sheet.

2.What is a reference point?

3.Why is an object's speed sometimes better expressed as an average?

4.WHat is the equation you can use to determine speed?

5.To really describe an object's motion, you need to specify both _______ and ______. This is called ________.

6.Describe how an object could have constant velocity.

7.Two cars are traveling on I-35. One is going towards Des Moines, Iowa, the other is going towards Dallas, TX. Both cars are traveling 70 mph. Do the cars have the same velocity? Yes or no. Explain your answer.

8.The runner traveled 10 miles in 1&1/2 hours. What was his average speed?

9.It is 210 miles from Kansis City to Lincoln. It takes MIss Harvey 3 hours to travel home. What is her average speed?

10.In order to get to Lincoln, miss harvey travles north on I-29 for 150 miles. She then travels west for 60 miles on Hwy 2. Does she have constant velocity? How do you know?

11.The mousetrap car traveled 45 meters at a speed of 3 meters per second (3m/s) How much time did it take the car to do this?

I can probably get a few but the ones ill have trouble with is 7-11.

The reason is, well im not that good at math. IF you can help id love it. If not..Well most of you hate me so i dont expect anything, just wanting some help.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:05 PM in reply to slaynish's post "Homework"
3.Why is an object's speed sometimes better expressed as an average?
Speed is the rate of movement. Expressed as an average? ?

4.WHat is the equation you can use to determine speed?
Speed or velocity? v = vnaught + (1/2)a^2 (Naught means starting)

5.To really describe an object's motion, you need to specify both _______ and ______. This is called ________.
Speed and Direction. This is called velocity.

6.Describe how an object could have constant velocity.
Constant speed and direction.

7.Two cars are traveling on I-35. One is going towards Des Moines, Iowa, the other is going towards Dallas, TX. Both cars are traveling 70 mph. Do the cars have the same velocity? Yes or no. Explain your answer.

Well, if you paraphrased, the answer is no, because they're going in different directions. If you quoted the question exactly, tell your teacher (s)he needs to learn how to formulate a problem because you don't know which direction on 35 they're going (you don't know their origin).

8.The runner traveled 10 miles in 1&1/2 hours. What was his average speed?
10mi/1.5hours = 6.6666mph

9.It is 210 miles from Kansis City to Lincoln. It takes MIss Harvey 3 hours to travel home. What is her average speed?
210miles/3hours = 70mph

10.In order to get to Lincoln, miss harvey travles north on I-29 for 150 miles. She then travels west for 60 miles on Hwy 2. Does she have constant velocity? How do you know?
No, she doesn't have constant velocity because she changes directions.

11.The mousetrap car traveled 45 meters at a speed of 3 meters per second (3m/s) How much time did it take the car to do this?
vt = d Thus
t = d/v = 45m/3m/s = 15s
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:05 PM in reply to slaynish's post "Homework"
Edit: NVM Bob beat me to it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
wilma is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenwilma is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

wilma

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:13 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "3.Why is an object's speed sometimes..."
3. because speed should be an average because there is always changes in speed like acceleration up to a speed and deceleration to a stop.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:14 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "3. because speed should be an average..."
Pwn you guys are teh best.

Time for comm. arts hw... which is just writing a story, so ttyl
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:19 PM in reply to slaynish's post "Homework"
Bob basically covered everything. I just want to provide minor alternatives, although Bob's answers are probably better.

3.) Velocity is displacement over time, therefore inherently an average.

4.) Vf = Vi+AT; Vf is final velocity, Vi is initial velocity (and the greatest text-editor on earth), A is acceleration and T is time.

6.) It has no acceleration.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:20 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Pwn you guys are teh best. Time for..."
Now someone do my homework for me!

EFGK is a parallelogram, MJ = 4, JH = 5. Find EM.

The answer is 6, but I need to prove it. Has something to do with multiple similar triangles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (24.0 KB, 12 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2005-02-10, 08:52 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Now someone do my homework for me! ..."
Xenn said:
Now someone do my homework for me!

EFGK is a parallelogram, MJ = 4, JH = 5. Find EM.

The answer is 6, but I need to prove it. Has something to do with multiple similar triangles.

well Xenn i am drawing a complete blank on my Geometry skills right now, but could you check that you have it labeled right and make sure they dont give you any angle measurements.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2005-02-10, 09:04 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "well Xenn i am drawing a complete blank..."
Nope, that's right. It's something to do with proportions... I've proven so far:

Triangle EMK similar to HMF
EKJ similar to HGJ
EMF similar to JMk
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2005-02-10, 09:11 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Nope, that's right. It's something to..."
and you proved that because the angles of a parallelogram are equal? and that KF bisects both Angles K and F?

hmm i am really tired and not thinking straight but from what you have so far i think it is only a matter of using some theorem that i have forgotten because you know that MH is 9 which is similar to EM and that MJ is 4 which is similar to EM, but i dont rememeber anything about similarities.

Btw what level of math are you in? highschool geometry?

Last edited by tidus2005; 2005-02-10 at 09:23 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

tidus2005

Posted 2005-02-10, 09:56 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "and you proved that because the angles..."
Yesss I finally figured it out! It was so simple!

EM/HM = X/9. JM/EM = 4/X. EM/HM = JM/EM, so X/9 = 4/X, x^2 = 36, x = 6!

I wish I hadn't spent so long staring at it...

And yeah I'm in honors high school geometry
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Xenn

Posted 2005-02-10, 09:59 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Yesss I finally figured it out! It was..."
I didn't do my homework, but lucky for me I don't have school tomorrow! I have 4 day weeks all this month. W00T W00T!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2005-02-11, 04:09 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I didn't do my homework, but lucky for..."
HandOfHeaven said:
I didn't do my homework, but lucky for me I don't have school tomorrow! I have 4 day weeks all this month. W00T W00T!
Heh, 1st part is same here, unfortunately the 2nd doesn't ...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Death is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDeath is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Death

Posted 2005-02-11, 12:19 PM in reply to Death's post starting "Heh, 1st part is same here,..."
Psh. Screw homework. You can pass math without doing it as long as you ace the tests.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2005-02-12, 01:44 AM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "Psh. Screw homework. You can pass math..."
pr0xy said:
Psh. Screw homework. You can pass math without doing it as long as you ace the tests.
It used to be like that, but now we're getting 2 marks, 1 for your work in class and homework, and the other one for tests....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Death is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDeath is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Death