Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Computer Help.
Posted 2008-11-17, 11:37 AM
I have an Emachines W3107. I added another hardrive of the same memory, and i doubled the RAM. and its worked great all along for about 4-5 months, but now, for some strange reason. Teh computer doesn't want to turn on.
When i press the power button, it starts up as usual. Once it shows me the E from e-machines (this is b4 it boots up the windows) and it freezes. Then i can hear the fans sloowly start to power down, until they stay at a low speed. The only way i can compare the sound is to a star wars movie.
Episode 4 when obi-one powers down the beam that holds down the ship. It sounds pretty much like that. i've also left it on to see if it heats up, and it doesn't.

If anyone has any idea what is it please tell me asap.

I've switched out the fans already.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-17, 11:50 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Computer Help."
Have you tried entering the BIOS setup? If you can, then try disabling the logo so you can see at what stage in the bootup it's having issues.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-11-17, 01:16 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Computer Help."
If bootup without the logo doesn't tell you anything, then I'd try taking out the extra RAM and seeing if it starts up with the original configuration. If it does, swap out the old RAM for the new RAM and see if it still starts up. If it does, try all the sticks together again.

I've had similar problems, and it turned out to be a dead stick. I'm not saying that that's your problem, though. From experience, RAM is the first thing I'd look at, particularly seeing as you upgraded it (yes, I know it was months ago, but that's what happened with mine).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-11-17, 01:20 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If bootup without the logo doesn't tell..."
It is most likely RAM if it cannot make it entirely through boot. However, if it makes it past POST then your extra HD may be the issue.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-17, 03:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "It is most likely RAM if it cannot make..."
D3V said: [Goto]
It is most likely RAM if it cannot make it entirely through boot. However, if it makes it past POST then your extra HD may be the issue.
Kk, i'll be sure to try the RAM, but i already tried booting up from each hard drive seperatly. So i'll be sure to try the RAM. Just to be sure, if it boots with only one RAM does that mean that the other RAM is unusable?

No, i cannot get into the bios setting

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-17, 03:23 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Kk, i'll be sure to try the RAM, but i..."
Quote:
Just to be sure, if it boots with only one RAM does that mean that the other RAM is unusable?
Yes, more than likely. It could be more indepth than that, but generally speaking, yes.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-17, 06:06 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Computer Help."
This sounds like one of these things. I've experienced this in my A+ Exams Preparation Class.

Shot Motherboard - Yes, I've had this before. Turn on, boom! Off. SOB Mobo.
Overheated System - Essentially, a failed component. Potentially a RAM Module. When the fans startup and get really loud then shut off, that usually tells you it's the system overheating.
Virus - Yes, a retarded virus caused a systems boot sector to fail. Not really sure how it did it though. I did repair it though.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-11-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-11-18, 07:27 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "This sounds like one of these things. ..."
A virus would not prevent BIOS access. A boot virus replaces the normal boot code with the virus so it loads into memory before anything else could be in place to stop it. However, they may not still be able to start the OS. In the past, many boot viruses attacked floppies, since they could simply show the typical "This disk not bootable" message, then the user would continue to load the OS from the HD with the virus resident. Now that people don't use floppies, I'm not sure of their infection plan.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-11-18, 10:51 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "A virus would not prevent BIOS access. ..."
Ok, i tried it with 1 RAM each. Heres what happened. I took out the first one, and the cpu fan went on, but the one on the metal part of the computer didin't turn on till a bit after then it continued to have the same problem. I did the same thing with the other RAM and got the same exact problem. When i put both back in though, Both fans turned on immediatly.

... What a wierd problem, I need a genius! i lost my projects!!

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-18, 03:22 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Ok, i tried it with 1 RAM each. Heres..."
I'd guess your HD is poof'ed out. At this point i'm not even sure what to tell you to help yourself out.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-11-18, 04:02 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'd guess your HD is poof'ed out. At..."
I'd guess your HD is poof'ed out. At this point i'm not even sure what to tell you to help yourself out.
Crap man, don't tell me that.. lol, Do you really think that both HD's could be poof'ed out at the same time? Because i tried each one seperatly and it still didin't work.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-18, 04:08 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Crap man, don't tell me that.. lol, Do..."
Oh see I missed that part. If that's the case, your MOBO probably, somewhere along the line, has a short or one of the components is gone. Maybe an IDE channel, who knows?

Do you have any additional parts you can interchange, or a spare computer you could swap the HDs into? If not you aren't going be troubleshoot really just going off of pluging and reversing things around. . . .

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-11-18, 04:59 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh see I missed that part. If that's..."
Oh see I missed that part. If that's the case, your MOBO probably, somewhere along the line, has a short or one of the components is gone. Maybe an IDE channel, who knows?

Do you have any additional parts you can interchange, or a spare computer you could swap the HDs into? If not you aren't going be troubleshoot really just going off of pluging and reversing things around. . . .
I'll see if i can get ahold of another computer i could swap the HD's into, but i doubt it.

Edit: No, i can't. Does anyone else have any ideas at all? At this point i'll try anything...

Edit #2: So now, should i buy another HD? and take out the two that i have? I've already gone ahead and switched all the parts around. The computer still has both of them inside, and i've gone ahead and switched them both out.

Last edited by Wolfturn; 2008-12-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn