Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Evil Grin switches/variables
Posted 2006-07-12, 05:16 PM
OH MY GOD! For hours now I have been trying to figure out how to use these stupid variable and switches options. I am using the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition. I have tried simple things such as: recieveing a message on startup/immediately entering area and setting trigger as "auto start." I know that makes the same message repeat over and over, but through all the guides and FAQs Ive read, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO because they are so blunt in their explinations. Another example is creating an event that when you step on it, you move two spaces up. But I only want that to happen once. how do I fix that with these switches? They say its easy, but Im not seeing it. Could someone please give me a long and clear solution please?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
VonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

VonCreme

Posted 2006-07-12, 06:39 PM in reply to VonCreme's post "switches/variables"
VonCreme said:
OH MY GOD! For hours now I have been trying to figure out how to use these stupid variable and switches options. I am using the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition. I have tried simple things such as: recieveing a message on startup/immediately entering area and setting trigger as "auto start." I know that makes the same message repeat over and over, but through all the guides and FAQs Ive read, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO because they are so blunt in their explinations. Another example is creating an event that when you step on it, you move two spaces up. But I only want that to happen once. how do I fix that with these switches? They say its easy, but Im not seeing it. Could someone please give me a long and clear solution please?
for problem 1 i don't know y its not working u should have the message then activate a switch and have a second page with nothng on it and precondition it with the switch from the first page

for problem to u need to do the same thing. after u make it so they move up 2 spaces then have a switch activated and a second page with nothing on it and a precondition from the first page. hope it helps ill get u a demo if i can maybe l8er tonight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
phsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenphsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

phsyco025

Posted 2006-07-12, 08:03 PM in reply to phsyco025's post starting "for problem 1 i don't know y its not..."
DO NOT USE AUTOSTART.... unless you use Erase event, it will keep on happening. It is the source of your problems... Also, you do not need to use switches for everything... Set the event to Player Touch, and it will only do the event when you step on it... Don't worry, I was VERY confused at first... I'm working on a newbies guide to RMXP, by the way, which will include video... Might take awhile, but it's worth it if I help at least one newbie
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-12, 10:30 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "DO NOT USE AUTOSTART.... unless you use..."
hey good luck with that Atnas and if u need any help feel free to ask and btw hows ur game going?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
phsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenphsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

phsyco025

Posted 2006-07-13, 06:22 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "DO NOT USE AUTOSTART.... unless you use..."
Speaking of event triggers 'n stuff, what's the "collision" trigger? Is it sorta like "Hero Touch" 'cept the event that's set to "collision" has to be moving?
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-07-13, 06:50 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "Speaking of event triggers 'n stuff,..."
I'm not exactly sure, but in theory.. yes...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-13, 07:09 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I'm not exactly sure, but in theory....."
Collision: The hero does not have to hit the confirmation key, the event and the hero just have to attempt to be on the same tile at the same time - so the event can also activate itself by running into the hero (as well as the hero running into the event.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-07-14, 02:44 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Collision: The hero does not have to..."
XD Hey, That'd be perfect for my LOZ battle system I'm making!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-14, 04:17 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "XD Hey, That'd be perfect for my LOZ..."
Well Im sorry I have been out, but Ive been having so much fun now that I know how to use switches! I have a few more questions though. I know there is an open shop window, but there is no "Rest in Inn" option or anything that I see using XP. How could I set up an inn enabling you to be fully restored when entering a room after you have paid for it, yet not repeating itself? Another general question: can I use more than 2 tilesets on a map (excluding the event graphics)?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
VonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

VonCreme

Posted 2006-07-14, 05:27 PM in reply to VonCreme's post starting "Well Im sorry I have been out, but Ive..."
I'll explain the inn script once I have completed something... lack of time...BRB
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-14, 05:35 PM in reply to VonCreme's post starting "Well Im sorry I have been out, but Ive..."
VonCreme said:
Well Im sorry I have been out, but Ive been having so much fun now that I know how to use switches! I have a few more questions though. I know there is an open shop window, but there is no "Rest in Inn" option or anything that I see using XP. How could I set up an inn enabling you to be fully restored when entering a room after you have paid for it, yet not repeating itself? Another general question: can I use more than 2 tilesets on a map (excluding the event graphics)?
Well for the Rest in inn part what you could do is this...

<>Message: Would you like to stay at the inn for just $5?
<>Show Choices: Yes rest at inn for $5, No too expensive
: [Yes rest at in for $5] Handler
<>Conditional Branch: Money 5 or more
<>Change Money: - 5
<>Message: Ok enjoy your stay.
<>Complete Healing: Entire Party
<>
: <>Else Handler
<>Message:Sorry you don't have enough money to stay here.
<>
: End
: [No too expensive] Handler
<>Message:Please come again.
<>
: End
<>

And for the other question no you cannot use more than one tileset in one map unless you put 2 or more together to make it one tileset
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

phsyco025

Posted 2006-07-14, 07:02 PM in reply to phsyco025's post starting "Well for the Rest in inn part what you..."
=b okay, ya beat me to it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-07-14, 08:01 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "=b okay, ya beat me to it."
lol sry
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

phsyco025