What is the different between

Lightning Absorb 20%

and

+20 Lightning Absorb

?

Please don't say "you think".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-09-09, 09:46 AM in reply to Ganga's post "What is the different?"
Well, lightning absorb 20% will absorb 20% of a lightning attack. If you get hit with a 1000 damage lightning attack, this will cut it down to 800, which is 20% less.

+20 lightning absorb sucks really, since it will only absorb 20 lightning damage... With that same 1000 damage attack, you will hit with 980...

All in all, 20% aborb >> +20 absorb..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-09-09, 10:01 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, lightning absorb 20% will absorb..."
I love when im dueling fire sorces with my axe baba, i get all my absorb gear on and when they heal me they are like wtf u damn hacker!?!!? lmao i love it but yeah 2 raven frosts are pretty much the only good cold absorb out there, there needs to be more.

Last edited by ==Nit5u4==; 2004-09-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
==Nit5u4== is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between==Nit5u4== is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

==Nit5u4==

Posted 2004-09-09, 10:38 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, lightning absorb 20% will absorb..."
Titusfied said:
...All in all, 20% aborb >> +20 absorb..
it depends on the amount of resists u have. Lets say u have 95% resists to lighting and take 1k of actual damg ur only taking 50 damg after applied resists.
20% of 50 damg is only 10 points of damg healed while tgods is +20, 20 > 10 am i not correct? so what im saying is tgods is better than a wisp projector unless you dont have a tgods and only have a wisp
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
blckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenblckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

blckshdwdragon

Posted 2004-09-09, 11:06 AM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "it depends on the amount of resists u..."
Yeah, that is true enough actually. Good point.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-09-09, 11:27 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Yeah, that is true enough actually. ..."
Absorb is always a % value, even if the item doesn't really list that in the mods. Look on Blizz's site.;
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
SkyGoneBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSkyGoneBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

SkyGoneBlue

Posted 2004-09-09, 11:29 AM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "Absorb is always a % value, even if the..."
I'd be surprised if that was actually true. But who knows, I've been surprised before.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-09-09, 12:46 PM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "it depends on the amount of resists u..."
How is it possible to have ladder only itams but not a common tgods . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always thought that the 20 meant percentage.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-09-09, 12:46 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I'd be surprised if that was actually..."
Well, look at Rising Sun amulet. The wording is different, and no % is listed, but I know for a fast that it works as a % against Fire sources.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/ite...uamulets.shtml
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
SkyGoneBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSkyGoneBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

SkyGoneBlue

Posted 2004-09-09, 01:16 PM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "Well, look at Rising Sun amulet. The..."
How does that link prove anything regarding the issue of percentage?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-09-09, 01:31 PM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "Well, look at Rising Sun amulet. The..."
SkyGoneBlue said:
but I know for a fast that it works as a % against Fire sources.
No it doesn't...

Where the hell do you get your information?

Absorb % obviously absorbs a percentage of the total elemental attack.

+Absorb works differently. Say, for TGods (+20), it absorbs 20 of the final damage, which then heals up to 20. Your Lightning Resistance is what does most of the work for you...

Example: 1K Lightning attack.

1K / 4 = 250 for PvP reduction.

250*0.05 = 12 damage (fraction dropped, assuming 95% lightning resistance)

Now, from that 12 damage, you would absorb all 12, and heal the remaining 8, I believe.

I have honestly forgotten specifics, as I researched it in .08, but it doesn't even work remotely like a % (Absorb % is capped at 40% anyway)...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:09 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "No it doesn't... Where the hell do..."
Well ok, I may be wrong about Rising Sun, but I have read in several places that it works as a %.

However, about how absorb works, you don't have it quite right. What would happen in your example with the 12 lightning damage is that you immediately heal the 12 lightning damage and take none. Absorb IMMEDIATELY heals whatever the listed value is (be it a % or numeric value). That is why some people think that the first shard of Blizzard is bugged. If you have full life, all of your cold absorb immediately applies life to your bulb (which is already full - so you see no effect), then you take the rest of the damage straight up (minus what you absorbed, even though it didn't really add anything to your life).

So, in essence, absorb is like a double resistance. However, it only helps to its true effect if you already have life gone. That is why stacking lightning absorb against a trapper or cold absrob against a blizzard sorc doesn't always work as they can easily 1-hit KO you.

Does that make sense?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

SkyGoneBlue

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:10 PM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "Well ok, I may be wrong about Rising..."
And also, I don't think that absorb is capped anymore, but I could be wrong about that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

SkyGoneBlue

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:28 PM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "And also, I don't think that absorb is..."
my sorc has 95 cold res.. and 700 health i have yet to meet a sorc what can 1hit ko me with blizzard
`~Working in the Mortuary Affairs field isn't so bad. It pays for my 2009 Scion tC, so I can't complain.~`
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Joka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJoka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Joka69

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:39 PM in reply to Joka69's post starting "my sorc has 95 cold res.. and 700..."
Well it might be capped to the point that you just absorb any dmg that is...whats the word im looking for...given.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:42 PM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "And also, I don't think that absorb is..."
SkyGoneBlue said:
And also, I don't think that absorb is capped anymore, but I could be wrong about that.
+Absorb is not, Absorb % is limited to 40%.

I remember the remainder of +absorb left over after the damage being vital, so I don't believe your infomration is correct, but it's been a long time.

Perhaps blckshdwdragon would care to clear things up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-09-09, 04:58 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "+Absorb is not, Absorb % is limited to..."
er.... i thought my example would have been enuff to clarify this. Anyways +X isnt capped, % is capped at 40% as voll mentioned. rising sun, black oak, tgods, stormlash, snowclash, etc items heal you by that amount NOT %. voll u misinterpereted my example, it was after the pvp penalty that you were to take 1k damg and have increased max resists is where tgods is potentially better than a wisp BUT if you dont have stuff that increases your max resists and have a % absorb- wisp will be a much better choice
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
blckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenblckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

blckshdwdragon

Posted 2004-09-09, 05:53 PM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "er.... i thought my example would have..."
My example was seperate from yours.

What was the final damage you take from the 1k lightning while wearing TGods? 30, yes?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-09-10, 06:56 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "My example was seperate from yours. ..."
Wow, so why is TGod's so highly soughtafter again? Saving yourself 80 HP of lightning damage versus having a crap load more life, ias, leech, or DR sounds pretty pointless (dungo, nosferatu, string, etc).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

SkyGoneBlue

Posted 2004-09-10, 10:28 AM in reply to SkyGoneBlue's post starting "Wow, so why is TGod's so highly..."
It's the +10 Maximum Lightning Resist that makes them so good. A character's Belt is usually the least important piece of equipment to a build, ergo, TGods is highly useful. Think about it this way:

10K Lightning WITH TGods (not counting the +20 absorb, since there's some debate as to exactly how it works):

10000 / 4 = 2500 (pvp penalty)

2500 * 0.15 = 375

375 is what you would take.

10K Lightning WITHOUT TGods:

10000 / 4 = 2500 (pvp penalty)

2500 * 0.25 = 625

625 is how much damage you would take

Of course, these are both assuming you're running Max lightning resist.
That should be a clear enough example why TGods is good. After the absorb is counted in, you'll be taking even less.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker