Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Aion
Posted 2009-08-03, 11:02 AM
http://na.aiononline.com/en/

Aion is a new (to the US) MMORPG coming 2009-09-22. It runs fast, looks great, and has solid netcode (US people playing on the Chinese servers tell me they can't tell that they are playing on servers across the ocean).

Aion is a very Realm vs Realm oriented game with a third realm controlled by AI to help balance the fight (something WAR could probably use...). Aion is unique in that you can choose to engage in ariel combat, both PvE and PvP; in fact, the PvP end-game takes place among the smaller fragments of the shattered world. Both realms have the same classes covering four archetypes, each with two classes that you can choose between at level 10. Since there is virtually no difference between the classes on each side there should be no class balance issues.

I plan to play this when it comes out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-08-03, 08:58 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Aion"
There are at least 5 of us in my barracks alone that are also going to play. You plan on playing good or bad?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2009-08-04, 08:40 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "There are at least 5 of us in my..."
As in WoW (and unlike WAR), there is no good or bad side. I'd preffer to play Elyos, but people I want to play with are going Asmodian, so there I will be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-08-05, 03:42 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "As in WoW (and unlike WAR), there is no..."
by good and bad I meant Elyos or Asmodian, I was just to lazy to look it up. I will most definetly be playing a cleric. Warhammer has turned me into a core healer... love what being a good healer can do.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2009-08-18, 11:05 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Aion"
I played the final closed beta this weekend. The graphics were excelent and it ran smoothly. Flying/gliding is a ton of fun; it completely changes the experience of "exploring" areas that the devs didn't indend for you to reach (and there are very few areas that are unfinished and strange). You'll need to plan on a bit of grinding/not avoiding mobs on your way to complete quests, but you'll level up doing the quests pretty easily and I found most of the quests enjoyable. Also, there is a built in finder function that puts an X on your map where mobs/things are if you look them up, which is really helpful. I really enjoied customizing my character; I spent an hour messing arround and came up with something I really like.

There was some disapointment. You cannot invert your mouse look; this left me feeling sick to my stomach (motion sickness, I guess?) for the first few hours as I adjusted to up being down and vice versa. The UI is not fully customizable, though it feels pretty complete; my biggest annoyance is that I could not move the target unit frame down close to my action buttons.

All-in-all, I can't wait for the game to release.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-08-18, 11:09 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I played the final closed beta this..."
Damn, not being able to invert the mouse would bug the shit out of me for sure. As far as UI goes, I'm not much into customization, so that won't bother me much.

Did you get a chance to experience both pve and pvp?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2009-08-19, 12:43 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Damn, not being able to invert the..."
No, unfortunately. PvP doesn't start 'till your 20s, but I only got to lvl17 during the weekend.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-08-19, 01:53 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "No, unfortunately. PvP doesn't start..."
I played Aion during the last two betas and got to level 20. Regardless of that, I wasn't very fond of the game. I found that the graphics and whatnot were great, but I found the gameplay to lack things I like about other games.

One thing is the zoom, incredibly small zoom range annoys the hell out of me in a game, besides a first person shooter.
When fighting with monsters the same level, the character was always running pretty low on HP, besides if you were a cleric really.
The characters themselves, move really, really, slow. Which makes traveling a hassle unless I wanted to pay a fee to fly to someplace fast.
The flying itself, was annoying. Limited flying time? Why? And if you fall from a high height or are flying in the air high and fall, you get hurt big time. Not that it isn't realistic, but it's annoying.
I found the 3D moving style reminding me of the first Resident Evil back on the PlayStation. I really did not like the way they handled the motion.
The mini map was annoying as hell, as well. Basically, you had to make your character spin in a circle to see the aggro monsters and non-aggro monsters around you. Isn't that nice? Because it will only show the ones in a cone-esque shape ahead of you, as well as the ones right next to you, which I really would have liked to have known before I walked backwards into them.

Overall, I was incredibly disappointed in the game. Graphics aren't everything if the gameplay sucks. Well, that's my two cents.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-08-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-08-19, 08:20 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I played Aion during the last two betas..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
When fighting with monsters the same level, the character was always running pretty low on HP, besides if you were a cleric really.
Is that not how it is supposed be? A fight between even levels should result in 1 dead combatant and 1 low health combatant... or a draw.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-08-19, 11:45 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I played Aion during the last two betas..."
The zoom range is adjustable.

Actually, you move pretty fast in the game (unless you had walk enabled), and I could get where I was going on foot pretty quickly. The fastest way to get someplace, though, is to glide. Many people would zoom past me because they knew all the little ledges to use to give you the height you need.

As for the mini-map, chalk one more up to realism. Really, I'm not sure why this is a huge issue, considering that most MMORPGs don't even show all the monsters on your mini-map.

Overall, the gameplay is fun. Gameplay is more important than graphics. If I cared more about graphics than gameplay, I would have quit WAR and went back to WoW (because at the settings that you ultimately end up playing WAR on due to RvR performance, it looks worse than WoW).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-08-19, 11:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The zoom range is adjustable. ..."
WW said:
(because at the settings that you ultimately end up playing WAR on due to RvR performance, it looks worse than WoW).
A buddy of mine has a nice laptop, and I beg to play Warhammer on his because of how amazing it looks. I haven't really played on a computer so smooth before. I am used to choppy gameplay and Choppa's that teleport.

GLG are you still going to play the game when it is released?

I watched a few video's on youtube, reminds me a lot of SRO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2009-08-22, 09:42 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "A buddy of mine has a nice laptop, and..."
I went to the Aion booth today at Gamescom, it looked pretty good actually.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-09-16, 11:37 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I went to the Aion booth today at..."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
I went to the Aion booth today at Gamescom, it looked pretty good actually.
Oh really? How cool.

Anyways I am preordering this game. When you do that on Sept. 18th you can create 2 characters. Then on the 20th you can start playing 2 days before everyone else. Anyone else preordering?

I think we need to decide if a few of us are going to play, what server and faction. I think we should be Elyos because the other faction seems like it is going to be overpopulated. That gives us more entertainment for PVP later on. I don't know what the name of the servers are, but how about we all pick the server that has the shortest name.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-09-16, 11:55 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Oh really? How cool. Anyways I am..."
My guild is playing Asmodean on Vaziel.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-09-16, 12:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "My guild is playing Asmodean on Vaziel."
See you on the battlefield then. I will be Elyos on Vaziel.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-09-16, 12:13 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "See you on the battlefield then. I will..."
I couldn't stand to play Elyos. Perhaps it's all the time playing Warhammer, but the Elyos starting area was so sugar sparkle happy it made me want to puke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-09-18, 11:57 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I couldn't stand to play Elyos. ..."
1 hour left before people who pre-ordered can log in and create 2 characters to have ready for sunday. Im going to try and get 2 much sought after names. Goku and Legolas. lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-09-18, 09:13 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "1 hour left before people who..."
So, did you get your names? I got mine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-09-19, 12:48 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "So, did you get your names? I got mine."
WetWired said: [Goto]
So, did you get your names? I got mine.
Unable to contact game patch server.

Please check your internet connection or try again later.

If you want to skip the update step, force a launch using the right-click menu on the game list or main button.

Error Code: 36 (PatchServerCommunicationError):

Patch server communication error while performing operation:

Got that every time I tried to get on for a few hours until I gave up and went to sleep. Just woke up now and still getting that error.

edit: i fixed it, i got my wifes name and for my character jason was taken so I got 'Eylosian'

edit edit: I didnt like Eylosian, deleted and got 'Dutch' instead

Last edited by Sum Yung Guy; 2009-09-19 at 02:08 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-09-23, 07:30 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Unable to contact game patch server. ..."
Im trying to download teh game from NCSoft, where I bought it last night.. I got to about 50% last night, then went to bed. When I woke up the installer had stopped because my internet connect was kicked off. When I went to resume the download it started all the way back over from 0%. If this ever finishes downloading, I will be able to play.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla