View Single Post

Posted 2009-06-08, 07:33 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Well, I just formatted the computer and..."
Wolfturn said: [Goto]
Well, I just formatted the computer and put an old windows xp cd on it. Would i need to format it again and put ubuntu on it? Or just like make a live cd?
Your saying sort-of dual-booting ubuntu and windows xp? If so, how do i make the cd that can be installed on windows or whatever you said. I"ve tried making an ubuntu cd before many times, but they usually come with errors and whatnot? Like, the cd comes out bad because its such a big file.

No, you don't need to format it again. Just download the Desktop Edition version from http://www.ubuntu.com and burn the CD image file (.iso) to a CD with InfraRecorder. Boot the computer from the CD (may require a change of the boot order in BIOS) and you'll be able to try out Ubuntu without making any changes to the computer. I think you can make an approximation of an integrity check from the CD itself. Debian is a bit more secure on that front, but getting Debian live CDs to work is a pain.

(Ubuntu is actually faster than Windows 7 these days (the feeling of general laggardness in earlier versions has been removed, too) and it emulates Windows applications pretty well with a native application that isn't Wine.)
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-06-08 at 07:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser