View Single Post

Posted 2010-03-19, 02:15 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Next up: Koi Kaze Drama / Incest ..."
(I finished watching this a week or so ago)
Clannad /// Clannad After Story
Drama / Comedy / Romance / School life

Animation: A+
Story: A++++++++
Dub: N/A
Sub: A+

Where to even begin. For starters, never have I ever bawwed like a little bitch more then when I was watching this show. It has squeezed Ai Yori Aoshi / Cardcaptor Sakura out of their number 1 (tied) spot on my top anime list.

Clannad, based on a visual novel by Key, follows the story of Nagisa, Tomoya, and their friends through highschool and the decade or so following their graduation. The series is a mixture of both comedy/romance/drama and some very very tearjerking story arcs. Throughout the series, you learn more and more about each of the characters and why the are they way they are.

The animation is simply beautiful and the character designs are very easy on the eyes. Would you expect anything else from Kyoto Animation? Throughout the series, you will see some flashback-esque scenes with a little girl and a robot in a world that has already ended. The animation technique used for the girl is something I don't think I've ever seen before (or at least that I can remember). You have to check it out yourself because I do a piss poor job of explaining things in words. It's awesome.

Some people object to the ending of afterstory saying something about how it 'Cheapens' a certain event that occurs about 80% through after story. Below is a chart showing the events in clannad and how they unfolded. The said "event" had already happened in the alternate time before the anime series even started. Had it not all the illusionary world scenes would be extremely misplaced and lots of key events with some of the side characters would never have occurred. Ugh. I don't think im doing a good job at all of explaining this show.

Here is the timeline:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9232/clannadtimeline.png[/img

Overall suggestion: BUY IT. A MUST WATCH (Watch alone -.-)

Next up: Rurouni Kenshin Season 1
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign