Thread: Sum of squares
View Single Post

Posted 2021-04-22, 11:26 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Great question! I think the closest..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
In some sense, I think it happens more often than it "should" when you deal with messy systems in physics, for example.

As a concrete example: Interactions between electric point charges (e.g. electrons) can be approximated in various ways with the Legendre polynomials. The n'th of these polynomials have a number of different series and contour integral representations that don't look particularly nice.

There is one very nice representation of the n'th such polynomial, though: Take the polynomial x^2 - 1, raise it to the n'th power, then take the n'th derivative of the result (and multiply it by a simple constant). Pretty easy to remember. It's also a bit odd in that we don't encounter derivatives of an order higher than 2 (or maybe 3) very often IRL.
I feel this is a side effect of us having very beautiful mathematical language at our disposal. Our understanding of mathematics has come so far that even the most complicated aspects can be expressed in a simplistic form that is easy to understand. It's one of my favorite things about math.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin