View Single Post

Posted 2008-09-08, 09:17 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Wow, I could do that. Dang, my head..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
I really like the MSI motherboards is all. I haven't seen any MSI motherboards that support DDR3. I like ASUS and MSI, if you find one by ASUS, I'll be interested.

I can find MSI and Asus motherboards for Intel processors, but not AMD.

Quote:
Huh? Do you mean the company? I'm a little confused by your question.

Yeah. Corsair, Kingston, Hyundai, Samsung, etc.

Quote:
I'm putting three strong back fans, 4 left-side and 4 right-side fans. All-in-all, 11-fans plus the CPU fan is 12-fans. I hope to keep the system around 30C at the max. I, at one point, wanted to use liquid cooling. However, the idea of water being right next to an object that doesn't agree with water, just doesn't make sense. I've also never setup liquid cooling, so it sounds a little dangerous.

Now that might be a little bit of overkill.

Have you got a picture/the specs of your case?

If you've got good fans, then you don't need very many. My case (CoolerMaster 830 Stacker), for example, can take up to nine fans, but I've only got seven in - one exhaust on the back, one exhaust on the top, two intake at the front, one intake on the side above the RAM, and two exhausts above the graphics card on the side:

Exhaust
Intake
Heatsink

I've gone for the "negative pressure" approach - more fans blowing out makes the pressure in the case negative. More air is exiting the case then entering it. You have more exit fans than intake.

There's also the positive approach in which more air is entering the case than leaving it - more intake fans than exit.

Some people swear by negative, and others by positive. A top exhaust is a good idea as hot air rises, and a back exhaust is a great way to get air flowing through the case. An exhaust over the graphics card exhausts ain't too shabby, either. A lot of the time you just need to experiment until you find the best configuration.

I think that four fans on the right side of the case is a waste, though - any heat given off by the back of the motherboard will be negligible, and if you do find there's a problem then one fan should sort it. If you go for a tall heatsink for the CPU you may find that you need to give up on one of the left-side fans, and I wouldn't be surprised if you find that you don't have the space to accommodate three exhaust fans at the back.

A top exhaust is a must, and at least one intake at the front to blow air over the hard drive(s) ain't a bad idea. Depending on the front of the case (if it has air vents), you might be able to fit in two fans.

It's hard to think about cooling without seeing the case, though.

Oh, have you thought about thermal paste?

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-09-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny