View Single Post

Advice on Computer Build
Posted 2008-07-27, 06:01 AM
In September, I'll be building me a new computer, as some of you may know. I've thrown together a build, based on past builds I've thrown together, with the following things in mind: I do a lot of 3D Modelling which takes up a lot of resources, and I do a fair bit of graphical work too. I game, also, which needs a powerful system these days, and I'd like to have space to upgrade (processor and graphics card, mainly).

---

Mobo: Asus Striker II Extreme NF790i, S775 (1600MHz FSB), DDR3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 3.0ghz (Yorkfield, 45nm, 1333MHz)
RAM: 8gb Corsair TwinX XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600mhz)
Graphics Card: 1gb XFX GTX280 XXX
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250gb x2, Seagate Barracuda 1000gb x1
PSU: 1000W Xclio

Monitor: HyundaiIT W241D 24" Widescreen
Optical Drives: Samsung DVD Drive

Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution 'nVidia' Special Edition

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...882/Rejig1.jpg

---

Altogether, that's £2,892.83. I know I can shave more off (different PSU, different graphics card, lower spec CPU), but unless I get the same spec for cheaper, I don't really want to.

That's not to say that I don't want advice, though.

For example, I know I can get the processor for £55 cheaper if I buy the OEM version, but do I really get it cheaper? Can I get a good CPU fan for less than £55 which is also better than the retail fan?

I'd also like advice on cooling - my room gets very hot and stuffy, and my computer(s) is usually on for 7+ hours on a weekday, and more than 12 on each weekend day. The case is chosen partly because of its cooling capabilities (it can house a total of nine 120mm fans, and is big to boot so the airflow is good), but it's useless if I buy a handful of fans that need me to hand crank them. Advice on thermal paste will be welcome, too.

Anyway, the link below the specs is the price list, which also shows LN##### numbers next to each component - if you enter these in the search box on www.scan.co.uk you can view the product in question.

So there you have it. Pick away, oh tweedler buzzards! Gnaw at the bones of my prospective build lay bare, and tell the cook how he can prepare it better.

Thankee.

Oh, and I'll also be buying Vista 64-bit and XP 64-bit with the system (to accommodate the RAM, if anyone wants to know. I can get away with using my current 32-bit versions of each OS, but then I only get 3gb of my 8gb RAM), which knocks it just over three grand, but you don't need to worry about those.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny