Thread: Aliens
View Single Post

Posted 2010-03-24, 12:36 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I think you underestimate the vastness..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
I think you underestimate the vastness of the known universe my good man

I am willing to accept that intelligence exists outside our range of communication. But within 15 light years from home, there are 63 stars. When you increase that number to 50, there are over 1000 stars -- we have broadcast our radio and television signals to over 1000 star-systems. And when you increase that number to 80 there are over 3500 stars.

We have found exoplanets which we think may lie within the habitable region of their star systems within 25 light years from home. Keep in mind, that our current methods can not detect planets unless they are at least 5 times larger than Earth. Also, keep in mind that relative to its lifespan, life arose on Earth quite quickly. This suggests that the formation of life is not as improbable of an event as some would make it seem.

Now, in our relatively primitive state of technology (we have only had the capability of near-home space travel of 60-70 years!), we have already sent out message aimed at systems 25,000 light-years from Earth.

The numbers suggest to me that intelligence should have risen within a range that we can communicate, perhaps on numerous occasions. This is not taking into account intelligence that may have risen beyond that range. Taking this into account, my question still stands: where are they?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes