View Single Post

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:01 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Computer submersed in water?"
WetWired said: [Goto]
[13:02] Chruser: Speaking of which, I still want to put an old computer in deionized water and run it.
[13:02] Chruser: In theory, it should work.

I disagree. You can remove the ions from water, but the water itself will form ions by decomposing into hydrogen and hydroxide. The computer might even cause the release of hydrogen gas then ignite it
Actually, if your computer is not filled with dust (i.e., it's free of contaminants) and it has a reasonable amount of flow of new deionized water, it would work just fine. I remember reading about some guys submerging a computer (dust and all) in deionized water and it worked for 5 minutes. Theoretically, it could last indefinitely with the right setup.

But it's not very practical, and there are better alternatives.

EDIT: Oh, and the idea that the computer would cause the release and subsequent ignition of hydrogen gas is just absurd.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!