View Single Post

Posted 2004-03-30, 11:23 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "10 PRINT "WHERE DID THE UNIVERSE COME..."
Same as the "Can a machine think?" question we had when I took Epistemology during my last semester.

My thoughts on this matter is, No. A computer cannot think. And... Computers are digital computers, which is capable of Storing, Executing, and Controlling. Storing is simply the storing of data, Executing is the carrying out of the commands, and Controlling has things to do with the "If, Else," "Goto" statements.

Also, my understanding of intelligence is... well, or I should have said, a person who is potentially intelligent means one who is capable of thinking. Therefore, if someone cannot think, we can deduce that the person is not intelligent.

Like... someone who said, "Not until a machine can write a sonnet or compose a concerto from thoughts and emotions," could we say that machine is capable of thinking.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia