View Single Post

Posted 2009-03-25, 06:15 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump. If..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump.

If Pokemon is counted as an anime series, then that was my first taste, but I haven't seen the whole thing (as a corridor we ordered the first series of the Indigo League, so I'm slowly making my through the first 30 episodes from the start).

The first full anime series I've seen took me all of Monday, and it rocked my socks! Cowboy Bebop!! Utterly fantastic. The characters are interesting, the plots are quite nice, the underlying story is good, the ending is satisfactory (even if sad), and though you're not shown too much of it the series Universe is brilliant.

Oh, and Ed. It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really missing Ed.

Other than that, I've seen all the Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa had to be by far my favourite), Akira, and the Cowboy Bebop film.

I agree that Nausicaa is the best Miyazaki film so far. Grave of the Fireflies is another, excellent movie by Studio Ghibli, although Miyazaki's involvement in it was minimal.

Anyway, here are a few recommendations for you:
  • Trigun - On par with Cowboy Bebop. A must-watch.
  • Ghost in the Shell - Both of the films (at least the first two ones) and the two SAC series.
  • Texhnolyze - Probably too weird and dark unless you can appreciate the works of Nietzsche and Lovecraft. It's my favorite anime series.
  • Serial Experiments: Lain - Another "weird" and psychedelic show that tackles many of the profound questions of reality, time, sentience and the conglomeration of selves into hive mind-like structures.
  • Kaiji - A philosophical show about gambling with a plot that plummets into an abyss of cruelty and darkness. It has kept me more on edge than any other show that I've watched.
  • Last Exile - A Victorian-style capital-class airship warfare anime. A bit like a Nausicaa and Laputa crossover.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-03-26 at 08:35 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser