View Single Post

Posted 2009-03-06, 12:01 AM in reply to jamer123's post "thery of the universe"
I don't wanna get into the same argument about god and such because that's always where this ends up, and it's a moot argument. I will however try to give you a bit of perspective on the universe. We assume the universe is around 14 billion years old. That is because light travels at 3 * 10^8 meters per second, which would circle the Earth around seven times a second. Now you probably know that one light year is how far the light travels in a year(This is a very very large number, you take 3*10^8 and multiply that by the number of seconds in a year, which is 3600second/hr * 24hr/day * 365day/year). The furthest light we can see(which is not limited by our telescopes whatsoever) is 14 billion light years away. That means that the light we see from that spot left 14 billion years ago and we are just now seeing it. That is why we assume the age of the universe to be 14 billion years old, but in reality it could be much older, especially since the universe is known to be expanding, and galaxies we observe near the 14 billion light-year horizon are extremely redshifted (moving away) to almost the speed of light. In this 14 billion light year radius of the known universe there are approximately 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy with an average of 100 billion stars. To put that into perspective, if you were to count each and every dry grain of sand on all of the beaches on the planet Earth, you would have about the number of stars in the universe. I think in that vastness, that it's somewhat... how should I put it... arrogant to assume that God created all this for just us. I'm not saying a supreme being isn't possible, I'm just saying that this universe being created in seven days for mankind is a silly notion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM