Thread: Back For Real?
View Single Post

Posted 2008-06-26, 11:19 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I actually wanted you to reply to this..."
Ah I missed that one.

Anyway, it's hard to go into too much detail, because it is supposed to change regularly. The only thing that's constant (which is something I don't paticularly care for) is that we're supposed to constantly learn. They offer training meetings at the office multiple times a week, and we're generally expected to go to one or more (I don't go to any). They expect us to study for and take certification exams (most notably, the Microsoft ones). They pay for the exams and any study materials within reason provided we pass the tests.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that when clients have a need for a consultant with ______ skills, we're expected to have _______ skills. So the actual work varies depending on the client. Right now, I'm doing user acceptance testing, which is generally rather non-technical. "Does everything on this screen work like it's supposed to?" It gets a little more in depth than that when we have to go into calculations and such, but that's the jist.

In comparison, we've got a number of teams at a number of companies working with rather state of the art software. One that comes to mind is Biztalk. A lot of companies are starting to see the benefits of it, and it's rather intricate and difficult to implement and use correctly.

Then there's some people at the company that only do project management. So that will cover resource management, scheduling, planning, etc. Some people cover process improvement. Basically, we have a system set up where each consultant picks two areas they want to "specialize" in, and involvement stems from there.

Speaking of, we've got offices all over the country and the world. I can refer you if you're interested/(will) have a degree. Let me know if you want to check the company out.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob