View Single Post

Posted 2010-03-30, 10:32 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Interesting. I don't think that was..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
Interesting. I don't think that was covered in any math class I've taken.
I do think it is the most beautiful equation I've ever seen. To me, if there is any evidence for a God in this universe, that is it.

It stems from

This can be seen from a Taylor expansion about 0 of e^x, Cos(x) and Sin(x). It is very useful in complex variable theory, as one can now say

where theta is the angle a line from the origin to A+Bi makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. Furthermore, if theta is made a variable that varies from 0 to 2*pi then

is the unit circle.

I only created this thread with the intention of checking the functionality of LaTeX. But perhaps it is a subject that merits some discussion. Could someone move it to a more appropriate section, and title it "Most Beautiful Equation."

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2010-03-30 at 11:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes