View Single Post

Should convicted felons be allowed to vote?
Posted 2012-10-03, 04:33 PM
Because activity, and shit like that.

---

!King_Amazon!, Chatbox said:
I think it's stupid that in some states convicted felons can't vote

I disagree, to a point.

The best definition of "crime" that I've come across is: crime is an act, deemed unacceptable by society, so bad that the state punishes you for doing it.

Ignoring the view that laws are a tool used by pencil-pushers to build their ideal world, if you commit a crime then you are doing something that, essentially, marks you as unfit to be part of society. If you've chosen to go down this path, whatever the reasons, then you should not have a say in how society is governed - you lose your membership card, and with it some rights you would have had if you were a law-abiding citizen. As such, I support taking the right to vote away from convicted felons, who are serving their punishment.

I don't know the ins and outs of American law, nor the states in which convicted felons can't vote, but I only support taking the right to vote away from criminals who are serving their time, whether it's in prison, or doing something like community service. If it's the case that having a criminal-record prevents you from voting ever, then that's not on.

In short: the state's retribution for your crimes against it should include stripping your right to vote. Once you have paid the state back, however, your rights return. Step out of line again, and face the consequences again, until such a point where you get smart, or get locked up and lose your rights for life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny