View Single Post

Posted 2007-05-22, 12:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "No Jessifer. England might be fucked..."
Quote:
No Jessifer. England might be fucked before we die if the changes in salinity shut off the gulf stream (huge ammounts of fresh water are being added to the ocean every day). Plus with the oceans going to rise as much as they are, the coasts of the world are not safe. GG. I would not do any long-term investments in coastal real-estate at the moment =P.
Nearly correct. From what I've read and what not, it's not a case of shutting off the Gulf Stream, but rather changing it's course by a few degrees so it misses us completely.

With the melting of the ice caps and shelves (particularly those in Iceland and Greenland), a huge amount of water is added to the oceans, affecting the path of the Gulf Stream. I think it's said that if the Icelandic Ice Shelf melts, the Gulf Stream will move about 5-7 degrees, and will miss us completely. Though this isn't predicted to happen for at least a century, leading up to the event, the UK will see an increase in tornado and hurricane activity, as well as a change in weather - much hotter in the summer, and a lot colder in the winter.

As for the seas rising, meh. I'm a couple of thousand feet above sea level where I am, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Let the fools in Norfolk learn to breath under water!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny