View Single Post

Posted 2008-02-19, 03:07 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Actually, they still sell CRTs, and..."
I have to say that I haven't seen any CRT televisions in any shop I've been to - PC World, Dixons, Currys, Comet, not even in Asda or Tesco.

Eventually films are going to be released exclusively on Blu-ray with no DVD release, which will force people to go HD. As it is, Sony are going to sell millions of PS3s specifically to those who want a cheap, futureproof Blu-ray player (it's the only player on the market that can receive and install firmware updates) until cheaper players are released, particularly when players that have the same ability to upgrade firmware are released. If Blu-ray is forced on the masses sooner rather than later, then PS3 sales are going to absolutely sky-rocket.

You have to admit, Sony are good tacticians... good, but extremely lucky. If HD-DVD had had a stronger backing from the start (maybe games being released on HD-DVD for the 360, or 360 SKUs with built-in HD-DVD drives) then they would have been crippled (or at least they would have lost millions of dollars). As it is, they've just secured the future for the PS3.

---

A quick comment about Toshiba's announcement - whilst it had to come, it still surprised me somewhat, particularly how early on they've given in.

Good news for a lot of people, though. One word: Firesale! Everything HD-DVD is going to go really cheap now, so it's a great oppurtunity to get a really cheap player and build up a HD library. Sooner or later, though, people who do will have to make the move to Blu-ray if they want to keep up. Currently only Universal and Paramount are still releasing HD-DVD films, and an announcement by Universal today looks like they might have jumped ship:

Quote:
While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny