View Single Post

Posted 2008-09-14, 11:47 AM in reply to Kazilla's post "How to: Diablo Guides"
IP Address reset methods.

To reset the IP number on Mac 8 through 9:

Try rebooting first. If you still get a number that begins with 169, you must trash the TCP/IP Preferences.
Opening the Preferences Folder:
- Open the Hard Drive, System Folder, Preferences Folder.
- In the Preferences folder delete the TCP/IP preferences.
The Mac will automatically create new preferences. You will have to reconfigure the TCP/IP settings.

To reset the IP number on Mac X:
- Quit all Internet applications.
- Select the Apple Menu > System Preferences.
- Click on Network.
- From "Show" dropdown menu choose Network Port Configurations.
- Remove the checkmark next to "Built-in Ethernet" then click the "Apply Now" button.
- Restart your computer.
- Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 and place the checkmark back in the box for "Built-in Ethernet". Then click the Apply Now button.
- Reopen your Internet applications.

To reset the IP number on a PC:
Use ipconfig to release your current IP and obtain a new one.
From Start select Run, type Command.
In the Command window:
- type ipconfig /release. This releases the current IP number (for Windows ME ipconfig /release_all).
- type ipconfig /renew. This selects a new IP number (for Windows ME ipconfig /renew_all).
- type ipconfig. This displays the new IP number.
- Close the Command Window.

Now for the new stuff, as I mentioned earlier some of you said the above processes just didn't work for you, that's ok I won't leave you feeling left out, if the techniques listed above didn't help you in any way this one will.

- Exit all of your internet devices, (such as icq, etc), close any open internet pages.
- Click "Start".
- Select "Run".
- In the "Run" line type, "cmd".
- This will bring up a new window, which looks like ms-dos, in this new window type (without the "s) "ipconfig /release".
- Close the window resembling ms-dos.
- Click "Start"
- Select "My Computer".
- Select "My Network Places", on the left hand side of the screen.
- Select "View Network Connections", on the left hand side of the screen.
- Right click the icon which says "Local Area Connection" then click "Properties.
- Click the "General" tab.
- Highlight the "Internet Protocol"
- Click "Properties", it's in the general tab.
- This will open a new window, click the "General" tab in this new window.
- You should see a box labeled "Use the following IP address", click it.
- You should notice three bars have lit up.
- In the first bar, labeled "IP address" type "1" until that whole bar is filled with "1"s.
- Use tab to select the "Subnet mask", it should have filled in itself.
- Click "Ok".
- Close everything now, every window, everything, I want you to see nothing but your desktop.
- Click "Start"
- Select "My Computer".
- Select "My Network Places", on the left hand side of the screen.
- Select "View Network Connections", on the left hand side of the screen.
- Right click the icon which says "Local Area Connection" then click "Properties.
- Click the "General" tab.
- Highlight the "Internet Protocol"
- Click "Properties", it's in the general tab.
- This will open a new window, click the "General" tab in this new window.
- You should see a box labeled "Obtain an IP address automatically", click it.
- This will give you a brand new IP number.

By: ScamAlot

----------------------------------------------------

This will only work to reset your internal IP address on your network. Unless of course your computer is directly connected to the Cable/DSL modem (Stupid idea) without being behind a router/switch/etc, then it'll work.

Their is a different technique to reset your external IP Address, and I will explain as follows:

Their are two different types of IP addresses, Static and Dynamic.

Static IP Definition said:
A permanent IP address that is assigned to a node in a TCP/IP network.
Dynamic IP Definition said:
An IP address that changes every time a user logs on to the Internet.

If you are still running Dial Up, (56k, 128k, etc.) you will have a new IP everytime you log off and log back on.

Standard Internet Service providers will typically assign your house with a Dynamic IP address. Now everytime one of your computers on the network accesses the internet, the IP does not change. Everytime your Cable/DSL modem connects to the internet, it will search for the first available IP address and will be assigned the new address. (This is very similiar to a network setup with a DHCP server)

To Reset: If you have Cable or DSL, simply turn off the power to the Cable/DSL modem for 5 - 10 minutes. (Sometimes it takes longer) This will allow another user on the same ISP to connect, and use your old IP. When you turn the power back on, it will search for the first available IP and WALAH! You now have you're new IP address.

Your ISP will sometimes offer you the option to have a Static IP, but fees and conditions apply.

By: -Spector-
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla