Thread: C tutorial
View Single Post

C tutorial

Posted 2004-06-26, 11:35 PM
INTRODUCTION

This tutorial is for beginner programmers who want to learn C. I assume that you do not have any experience programming, just that you know how to navigate your way around windows. If you are an experienced programmer you probably just want to skip this tutorial because I made this more or less for the people who do not know how to program and are asking for tutorials.

To run through this tutorial with me you will probably want to have a c/c++ compiler (either of these would work for c). I would suggest buying visual c++ if you can afford it, but that is pretty expensive so I don’t expect too many people to go out and buy it. There are some pretty good compilers for free on the internet. There is one I particularly like called dev-c++. I've forgotten exactly where you can get that from but if you go to www.zdnet.com you will most likely find it.
I also assume you are running Windows and know the basics of it.

I have tried to set this up as easy as possible to read. I will make all of the code and other examples I put in this tutorial in code tags to make sure you know when it's code, and when it's actually part of the tutorial.

Once you have gotten your c/c++ compiler you can open a new c/c++ source file and clear anything already there. Then copy and paste the following code:

PHP Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>

int main(void)
{

printf("hello world");

getche();
   return 
0;

Once you have done that the next step is to compile. Each compiler differs a little on how to do this but if you can't figure it out look at the help file along with your compiler. For dev-c++ there is a drop-down menu in between projects and options callled execute. Click on that and you will see a command called compile. If you get errors compiling pm (private message) me and I will see if I can help you out. After you compile go back to the execute drop-down menu and run. It should say:

hello world

It should create a .exe version of your file where you saved your source code. If all this works you are now set to go.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2004-07-21 at 12:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes