View Single Post

Posted 2012-01-09, 04:22 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Be sure you use the gold plated monster..."
Sovereign said: [Goto]
Be sure you use the gold plated monster cables. The conductivity of gold makes it an excellent upgrade to increase picture quality.
This is definitely not always true. People in the know will say to get a crappy cable and see if it gives you issues (jittering, noise lines, etc) and if it does, upgrade the cable. A lot of components can make up for the issues that crappy cables bring up and give you the exact same finished product as the stupidly priced gold plated cables. I have three different setups in my home that use HDMI and I've never bothered with Monster cables because my crappy cables work perfectly fine. Unless you are a videophile or you have a lot of disposable income they are often times not worth it.

EDIT: All three of my setups are 1080p, and one of them uses a crappy 25 foot cable. The only one that EVER gives me issues is the 25 foot cable but the issues are limited to rapid movement and don't bother me enough for me to want to spend 10x as much on a Monster cable.

EDIT2: There are also "good" cables that aren't stupidly priced like Monster cables.

EDIT3: You obviously don't know what you are talking about since you said "the conductivity of gold makes it an excellent upgrade". Gold is less conductive than copper (it has only ~70% of the electrical conductivity.) The reason they gold plate the cables is to resist corrosion. If they were going for conductivity they would go with silver (which is only slightly more conductive than copper, having 105% of the conductivity of copper.) Monster cables are definitely more durable than the average cheap cable, I'll give you that.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2012-01-09 at 04:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!