Thread: Minor Delights
View Single Post

Posted 2012-08-16, 09:04 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Moving on with my life."
Hellz yeah! After decreasing the accuracy of the hand tracker, my gesture recogniser recognises gestures!! I'm closing Chrome tabs from across the rule, feeling like a GOD.

Background: for my Master's dissertation, I'm "investigating the use of the Microsoft Kinect in the development of gesture-based interfaces". The hand tracker gets the co-ordinates of the hand and passes them to the gesture recogniser, which calculates the angle of movement and translates it into a direction (one of eight compass points). The Kinect was picking up my tiny movements, and the code recognised the directions, even though I thought my hand was still. This was 'fixed' by forcing the hand tracker to only send new co-ordinates to the recogniser if the newer set of co-ordinates were outside a ten pixel radius of the first co-ordinates. It means that I can't gesture as slowly as before (unless I slow down the tracker so that it doesn't take the data as it comes from the camera, at 30fps), but that's a small price to pay for awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny