View Single Post

Posted 2006-11-27, 05:54 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Even the neanderthals had some concept..."
Quote:
Very well written, by the way. Very good 'article', I suppose you'd call it.
Thank you.

Quote:
I don't know about America, but it's definitely true for [at least] my year at school, maybe even my age group across the country - very few people are religious. Many think the idea of a God is absurd, and quite a few will argue to the death about it.
It is quite different in America, especially at my university.

Quote:
It may just be that England and Britain as a whole is less religious and more of a multi-culture society, or it may be that as you get older you start to question everything more.
From my experiences, I have come to a conclusion which seems to contradict common sense. It would seem natural that as one gets older he questions things more, but from what I've seen it is the other way around. Younger children tend to have a lot of questions on the world, but as people grow older they grow more accepting of answers provided to them by authority.

Quote:
It's true to say that a lot of schools, unless they're religious schools, won't 'force' pupils to be religious. They still teach RE and so on, but it's not drummed into us as it may be over the pond.
Public schools here don't really teach religion, except from an academic perspective.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2006-11-28 at 12:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes