Thread: Legal Marijuana
View Single Post

Post Legal Marijuana
Posted 2002-09-10, 11:54 PM
Well this happend over a year ago, and I used to live there with my mother in Ukiah. I do not know if you guys heard of this or not, thats why I am posting it. I should have posted it alot earlier but I don't smoke pot anymore and I forgot it...

-----------------------------------------------------------

MENDOCINO COUNTY FIRST IN U.S. TO DECRIMINALIZE MARIJUANA

Winning Measure G Allows Up To 25 Pot Plants For Personal Use

By a 58-42 margin Tuesday, Mendocino County voters approved a measure to decriminalize personal use of marijuana, a first in the United States.

The Green Party-sponsored Measure G ran strong in every area of the county, and especially on the Mendocino Coast where the final vote count widened the winning margin significantly.

Supporters were jubilant early Wednesday morning.

Former Rep. Dan Hamburg, a former Democrat who joined the Green Party and helped campaign for Measure G, said the outcome underscores Mendocino County residents' weariness with state and federal campaigns against marijuana growers.

"The decisive outcome should send the message we were hoping: People who are intimately aware of the government's anti-marijuana crusade are demanding that the focus of lawmakers and law enforcement shift to hard, dangerous drugs and not an illicit weed that's been around for centuries," said Hamburg.

Measure G support cut across political boundaries and age groups.

"I'm old enough to remember Prohibition. That didn't work, and neither are the marijuana laws," said Anne Rogers of Boonville. Rogers said she voted for Measure G because she believes it's time to change criminal laws surrounding personal use of marijuana.

Patricia Kubran of Redwood Valley said she, too, voted for the measure. "I feel the courts are crowded enough. Let's focus on the real criminals."

Although there was no organized opposition, numerous county political and education leaders spoke out against Measure G, fearing passage would send the wrong message to young people. The marijuana measure, which has attracted national attention, would allow individuals to grow and harvest up to 25 plants. Sale and transportation of marijuana still would be illegal under the measure's provisions.

Local law enforcement leaders said the measure is mostly symbolic. Sheriff Tony Craver and District Attorney Norman Vroman said they will enforce state and federal marijuana laws, which take precedent over local laws.

The marijuana vote topped a local ballot that consisted mainly of city elections in Ukiah, Willits and Fort Bragg, and a $30 million hospital bond measure on the Mendocino Coast.

Leave your remark on this... I think its a good thing they did.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy