View Single Post

Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure Numer Five
Posted 2003-06-28, 06:12 AM
I've decided that I'm going to begin doing weekly album reviews. If for nothing else, to spread good music throughout the community, and to make this forum a bit more active. I'll post a final score for each album at the end based on a five-star system. Zero being "completely unenjoyable", five being "kickass beyond belief."

This week:

Soilwork - Figure Number Five

The Swedish sextet's fifth studio album begins with a rather large bang, titled "Rejection Role". The song doesn't take it's time getting to the goods, opening with a staggeringly catchy guitar riff, and proceeding into a chunky-style verse accompanied by Bjorn "Speed" Strid's sinister growls. The song goes from ungodly heavy, to mind-wrenchingly melodic balancing the two with a near-perfect outcome.

The second track, "Overload" begins with a great mixture of melodic synths and grinding guitars, and once again does the tightrope act between soaring melody and searing heaviness.

The remainder of the album continues to amaze, with standout tracks being found in the slow, brooding "Departure Plan" and another furious song entitled "The Mindmaker".

The real standout track on the album would have to be the tenth, named "Distortion Sleep". I dare anyone to listen to this song and not come away loving it. Easily one of the catchiest and most unrelentingly heavy songs I've heard in recent days.

Expect big things from this band in the near future. This album is easily more mainstream-accessible than their previous efforts, and in my opinion, it's the best installment in their library. Give it a shot. If you've got Kazaa (or any other P2P client), donwload a copy of "Distortion Sleep". Then go out and buy the album.

Score: *****

Best tracks: "Rejection Role", "The Mindmaker" and "Distortion Sleep"

Last edited by Raziel; 2003-07-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel