View Single Post

Posted 2008-01-11, 05:49 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Small chemistry question"
-Spector- said:
Okay for anyone who knows anything about chemistry, can you please explain this to me?

The molecule HCO3- is called "Bicarbonate"

But that doesn't make sense to me.. If Bi means 2, I don't see 2 of any element in that molecule. There is 3 Oxygen atoms, but that would result in a "tri" prefix not bi.

Can someone explain this to me please?

gracias.
CO3 (2-) is a carbonate ion. It's perfectly acceptable to call HCO3 hydrogen carbonate. This is the preferred name by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.

Carbonate is a polyatomic anion. This means that carbonate is a negatively charged molecule. Any stoichiometry needs to be done to the entire molecule rather than the constituent atoms. Whenever you add a hydrogen atom to a polyatomic anion, it is acceptable to add the prefix bi- to the name of the ion. In contrast, generally di- is the prefix used to signify 'two' in chemistry.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2008-01-11 at 08:11 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes