View Single Post

The Legacy of Kain
Posted 2004-06-13, 04:04 AM
Well, I'm super-fuckin' bored, so I decided to post yet another long-ass topic tonight. As you probably already know, I'm a huge fan of the Legacy of Kain franchise. That's where my login name comes from. The Legacy of Kain games are fantastic, if for no other reason, because the story is the best video game plot I've ever encountered. The only problem is this: the LoK games are sort of hit and miss in the gameplay department. The original Blood Omen was incredible in terms of gameplay, but it was hampered by atrocious load times and "lag". The two Soul Reaver games are fun as hell. SR1 is just simply amazing, but a lot of specific gameplay techniques felt awkward and imbalanced (like the Soul Reaver itself). The puzzle design was also a pretty stale, consisting of far too many block puzzles. Those problems were fixed in SR2, which contains the greatest video game puzzles ever created and a fantastic alternative to the original Soul Reaver mechanic. The problem is that it was too short and didn't have any real boss battles, which is a shame, because the boss fights in SR1 were phenomenal. Blood Omen 2 was a fun game as well, but it was also a stinking mess in more ways than I intend to detail right now. Defiance is easily the best of the five games, and in all honesty, everyone should get a chance to play it. The big problem with the game is that if you choose to play it first, the plot will make absolutely no sense to you whatsoever. That's what this thread is here for.

I am going to undertake the task of detailing the backstory as well as the individual plots of Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2 in this very thread. I will detail every last apsect of the games that I can, and I will divide them up into inseparate posts. This is going to take a few days, though, so I will be posting each one of these summaries over the course of the rest of this week. I will not be doing the entire thing tonight, because it would be impossible.

THIS ENTIRE TOPIC CONTAINS SPOILERS. READ ONLY IF YOU WISH TO KNOW THE BACKSTORY OF THE LEGACY OF KAIN SERIES AND DO NOT CARE IF THE PLOT IS SPOILED FOR YOU BEFORE GETTING TO PLAY THE GAMES.

With that in mind...

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-06-13 at 05:19 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel