View Single Post

Posted 2010-03-19, 02:19 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Yozakura Quartet Supernatural / Action..."
Took a break from school rumble to watch the Blu Ray edition of Ponyo that came in today.

Ponyo
Fantasy / Ghibli

Animation: A+
Story: A
Dub: A-
Sub: A+

While not one of Ghibli's best works, Ponyo is stll without a doubt a very very good movie. The movie (according to the jacket it came in) adapts The Little Mermaid, but makes it awesome and cute!

The animation is seriously gorgeous. In the opening 5 minutes, you see a scene where there are at LEAST 50 independantly moving creatures moving on the screen at the same time. Just to give you an idea of how much time and money was invested in this shows art and audio, let's do some calculations.

According to a website I saw (Not a reliable source but good enough for this comparison), The average 30 minute anime costs between 8-10 million yen (110,000 dollars per episode approx). This averages a production cost of about $3,600 dollars a minute.

According to Wikipedia, Ponyo had a budget of 34,000,000 and a run time of 100 minutes. Do the math.

$340,000 dollars a minute

Overall: A must buy. It's a cute story, which should be enough right there to encourage you to get off your asses and buy it, but the art/visuals are what really brings me to loving this show.

This is how anime should be. Now we just need Ghibli to do a remake of Crest of the Stars with this level of art, and I can die happy.

up next: Still watching school rumble. On to episode 2 of the second semester. So far, there have been some moments were I have nearly hurt myself laughing out loud, but most of the humor is starting to fall flat on its face... and the constant retardation of the characters when it comes to each others feelings is getting annoying.

ETA to completion: 1 week if I keep having to work these BS shifts
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign