View Single Post

You care what others think about you.
Posted 2008-08-13, 08:20 PM
I got into an argument with a girl over whether or not she cared what others thought about her. She swore that she didn't care at all.

How about you guys?

Do you care what others think about you?

Do you think everyone cares what others think about them?

This is a bit long, but interesting none-the-less:

Here is a section from our conversation on AIM:

(I'm ChicNStu012 if you didn't pick that up)

AIM said:
ChicNStu012: You lied.

ChicNStu012: In one of your bulletins

Ashley: ?

ChicNStu012: the question was

ChicNStu012: "Do you care about what others think of you?"

ChicNStu012: And you put "No"

ChicNStu012: Which is complete bullshit

Ashley: ?

Ashley: how?

Ashley: lol

ChicNStu012: Now, I understand. Everyone has to put No, otherwise you look like a jackass. If you put, "Yes, I worry about what people think of me zomg!!!" everyone would just be like wow, what a faggot.

Ashley: i seriously dont care what people think of me

ChicNStu012: If that was true, then

ChicNStu012: The whole "Self-conscious" variable would not be in your mind.

Ashley: SELF conscious

ChicNStu012: Exactly

Ashley: as in I dont like how i look

Ashley: idfc what other people feel about how i look

ChicNStu012: wrong-o

ChicNStu012: I'll explain in a scenario

Ashley: okay

Ashley: but you arent going to win this one

Ashley: :P

ChicNStu012: We'll see.

Ashley: kay

ChicNStu012: Okay, you are the only person living on earth. You never met any humans in the past, and you never meet any in the future. You would not care what you looked like for several reasons. But what I just said there should be enough fact.

Ashley: no

Ashley: not trueee

Ashley: if im fat, im going to care whether ive never seen another person or not

ChicNStu012: bullshit. You wouldn't know you WERE fat. You wouldn't know what FAT is. You wouldn't know how big an "Average" person would be, because YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON

Ashley: but that changes everything

ChicNStu012: Oh?

ChicNStu012: Why is this

Ashley: because

Ashley: if i dont know what a fat person looks like, i could still make my own opinion about it

Ashley: but since i have seen skinnier people

Ashley: i seem fat

ChicNStu012: There you go, you proved my point right there

Ashley: im so confused now

ChicNStu012: Ashley: but since i have seen skinnier people
Ashley: i seem fat

So, with what you just said. The only reason why someone would be "afraid" (aka self-conscious) of what their body looked like, is if they had seen someone else's body, and they thought it looked better than their own.

Ashley: i still think i could think i was fat even if i never saw someone else

ChicNStu012: How about this... If you are trying to date someone, you don't go up and talk to them or go on a date with them looking like shit. You clean up a bit and make sure you look as good as you can. You definitely care what they think about you.

Ashley: whateverrrr

Ashley: i care what i think about me

ChicNStu012: Okay fine, last try.. imagine this:

ChicNStu012: There is another planet, almost identical to this one. Basically it's a clone of earth but there is one difference. People perceive fatness as extremely attractive. If that was the case, if you were skinny, then you would be "uncomfortable with yourself" so you would eat to gain weight until you were quite plump. (rofl) then as you got more fat, the more uncomfortable with yourself you became.

ChicNStu012: It's all based on culture. The culture we live in decided that being fat is gross. If they had never decided that, then you wouldn't think twice if you were overweight.

Ashley: well fuck culture

ChicNStu012: haha

ChicNStu012: I agree

Ashley: you think too much. :P

Sorry this is so long, one more thing I found interesting:

Ashley said:
if i dont know what a fat person looks like, i could still make my own opinion about it

ChicNStu012: Okay, if you have no idea what something looks like (In this example someone who is fat.) You cannot make an opinion on what the object MAY look like. That would be like you saying, "In my opinion, the Notre Dame Cathedral in France is extremely ugly and smells like rotten fish."

ChicNStu012: Being that you've never seen or entered that Cathedral in your life, how could you form an opinion?

Ashley: it might not be right

Ashley: but you could still make one

ChicNStu012: That wouldn't be an opinion though, that would be you imagining what it might be like.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-