View Single Post

Posted 2008-05-19, 12:09 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "A 450w power supply isn't enough to run..."
Goodlookinguy said:
A 450w power supply isn't enough to run the top of the line graphics cards. In fact I've put in a graphics card before without playing attention to the fact that you needed a higher internal power supply; and when the computer turned on, it was blank.

I'd suggest a 1000+ watt internal power supply if you plan to put one or more of the worlds most powerful Graphics Cards in your system.
Choo crazy, foo'! There's no need for that type of power for what Mantra suggested.

Quote:
Here's what I'd go for.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_8200/

Core Components

NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case
Extra Case Cooling Fan (2x)
Thermaltake ToughPower 1,000 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9850 Black Edition Quad-Core
CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset DDR2/1066 Dual 16X PCIE
I've personally never had much of an issues with memory so anywhere from 3GB of ram to 4GB is fine.
ATI Radeon HD 3870 PCI-E x16 512MB
At least a 500GB HDD.
Whilst the AMD processors are built from the ground up (and are so touted as being better than the Intels, which are basically two CPUs stuck together), I personally think they're inferior to the Intels. And this isn't because I'm an Intel fanboy, ho no - my current PC has an AMD processor, and it isn't worth shit.

I've had problems with MSI boards in the past, too, so I'd go for something other than MSI - Gigabyte, or Asus, say.

The 8800GT out-performs the Radeon 3870, and for about the same price, the nVidia card is the better buy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny