View Single Post

Posted 2008-04-11, 03:15 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "This is a somewhat long post which..."
#3 is my favourite of the four - I can't help but think of White Mice Overlords carrying out the experiments.

As a non-Christian who doesn't believe in any form of a "God", #2 is how I view religion. There has to be something else life is worthless. Something afterwards to make it worth living. I think I'll call it "God".

You might be interested to know the #4 is an accepted theory to explain that the must be a God. I think it's more commonly known as the "Watchmaker Analogy/Argument" - by way of an analogy (which I'll get to in a moment), the theory argues that design implies a creator. The analogy is that a man is walking through a desert, and he sees a watch lying in the sand. The man looked at the watch, opened it up, so the intricate mechanisms that made it work, and thought that it MUST have a creator, for it couldn't create itself. It translates to organs in that with them being so intricate (such as, you said, the eye or the brain), they MUST have a designer - they can't have eveolved by themselves.

The theory was first put forward by William Paley in 1802, and was only challenged by Darwin's formulation of the theory of natural selection.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny