View Single Post

Posted 2008-10-22, 07:31 AM in reply to D3V's post "Prostitution to be legalized?"
My opinion is that as long as the prostitute is willing, there's nothing wrong with it. The good thing about legalizing it is that you can regulate it a bit better. For instance, in Nevada I believe, prostitution is legal but I think you have to get STD testing done on a regular basis. I can't remember specifics, but basically, since it's legalized, they can more easily regulate it and make it safer.

The people who would be against it are most likely the same people who are against things like sex education, because they can't put their morals aside and see that, while these things are "morally corrupt" to them, it's still in the interest of society to do things like this. Legalize prostitution and you can make it safer for the prostitutes, by requiring STD testing and maybe stuff like extra strict laws against assault on prostitutes or rape. You effectively fix the problem of girls being in dangerous situations, and you prevent the spread of STDs. Same with sex education, if you teach kids about sex and about ways to prevent pregnancy/STDs, they're less likely to get pregnant and spread disease. Same with marijuana, if you legalize it, you can more easily regulate the flow of it to consumers, possibly preventing minors from getting it (like cigarettes.) I know as a kid it was easier for me to get pot than it would have been for me to get cigarettes.

So basically it's a recurring theme. People are going to be prostitutes whether it's legal or not, kids are going to have sex whether you teach them about it or not, and people are going to smoke pot whether it's legal or not. In every case, these things can be legalized (well, not sex education, but you know what I mean,) making them easier to regulate. This is why I'm for the legalization of victimless crimes. You could probably argue that prostitution isn't a victimless crime, but I would argue that by making it legal, you could make it a victimless crime, by reducing the spread of STDs and by reducing the violence against prostitutes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!