View Single Post

Computer randomly shuts down and has a hard time restarting
Posted 2017-07-13, 04:27 PM
Hello,

I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. My computer, which seemed to be running fine yesterday, is having problems turning on today. When I pushed the power button it didn't want to turn on. After pushing it, holding it, tapping it repeatedly I finally got the thing on. While booting, it told me windows did not start correctly, and asked me if I wanted to troubleshoot, or just continue loading windows. I selected just continue loading windows, at which point it turned off. I again had the same issue -- the power button did not want to turn my machine on. I finally got the computer on again, and it again turned off (I don't remember if it was before or after the Windows loading screen turned on). I repeated this process maybe five or six times, and made it to different stages of booting before I my computer turned off. The furthest I made it was the Windows log in screen a couple of times, but never was able to make it past that.

When I made it to the Windows log in screen it said the battery was over half charged. I tried booting my computer with the battery removed but the problem persisted. I tried booting my computer only on battery power, and again, the problem persisted.

Neither the computer, nor the power button have ever given me problems before. I bought the computer just over a year ago. This definitely sounds like a hardware issue if it's giving me problems before it has even turned on, right? Any ideas what might be the issue, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes