View Single Post

Posted 2008-08-19, 12:02 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "My jack the ripper Essay's BODY"
This was my beowulf essay

Ever wonder what it takes to be an epic hero? The epic poem, “Beowulf”, depicts all five of the traits of an epic hero. “Beowulf” is about a brave warrior who battles the evil Grendel in an attempt to save his people. There are five major characteristics of an epic hero: courageous deeds, a long journey, high status, speeches, and the saving of a nation or people.

Of the five characteristics of an epic hero, a courageous deed is one that stands out. Before one of the battles in the poem, the “great prince stood, firm, unmoving and prepared” for the battle that was about to commence. He unsheathes his weapon and “The infamous killer fought for his freedom”, they slash away at the ropes holding up the floor. Before they know it: “Its benches rattled, fell to the floor, gold-covered boards granting way”. As the floor starts to crumble, Beowulf continues fighting without a doubt in his mind to his survival. A very courageous deed nonetheless.

A long journey is the second trait of an epic hero. Beowulf has many of these. There was an old tale that had been passed down generation to generation. “He who had come to them from across the sea” would “Sail with fourteen warriors” and “Journey into darkness that all men must make”. One would think Beowulf to be terrified, crossing the sea with a group of warriors, only to journey into the darkness. But Beowulf was ready and knew he was a hero and could not let anyone down.

Statuses in Beowulf’s time consist of kings, knights, and lords. Beowulf is considered to be these. The fourteen warriors that sail with Beowulf are there “To protect their prince” from harm. “Beowulf, a prince of the Geats” is on a journey to slay Grendel. During his last fight with the dragon, Beowulf suffers severe wounds. One of Beowulf’s men, who does not like him, says: “A king, before, but now a beaten warrior”.

The final trait of an epic hero is speeches. Beowulf remembers what his people told him as a youth. As he speaks to the young squires: “My people have said…” “I’ve never known fear as a youth”. These words confuse the little heroes and will ask questions that Beowulf cannot answer. Before he leaves to kill the dragon Beowulf says, “I’d use no sword, no weapon, if this beast could be killed without it”.

In conclusion, courageous deeds, a long journey, high status, speeches, and the saving of a nation or people are five traits that make a hero such as Beowulf. His actions are fierce, and his speeches are strong. He takes to arms against the mightiest of dragons, and dies at his fangs. The epic poem “Beowulf” will forever be immortalized in literature; not only for its intense battles, but also for the lesson it teaches. The poem shows the reader what and who an epic hero is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla