View Single Post

Posted 2008-11-14, 07:29 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "Racism and obama."
Here's the TL;DR version via reading between the lines for everyone.

Kyeruu said:
I don't like black people, but I'm not a racist, YOU people are racists.

IE, misdirection.

Honestly, while it's true that if someone voted for Obama because he's an African American they are technically a racist, I would rather someone vote for Obama based on the fact that he's an African American than someone not vote for Obama based on the fact that he's an African American.

On the one hand, you've got people who hate a race, and on the other hand, you've got people who like a race. Both racists, but one of those groups is significantly more destructive to society than the other.

When someone is excusing their own racism by calling others racists, the problem is even worse. Your ignorance currently seems boundless.

For the record, I voted for Obama. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's an African American. I am white, myself. The only reason I have for wanting an African American person to be president is the hope that it will inspire the young African American population of our country by letting them know that they're capable of more than they realize. When I was younger, I lived in a largely African American populated area. The general consensus every election was that "it's just another old white guy regardless of who wins," and they had no interest in the election at all. Most of them ended up as drug dealers, drop outs, teenage parents, or minimum wage workers, because they didn't think they could do anything else. There is great potential for Obama to inspire this population.

However, that was not factored into my vote at all. I voted for Obama because of his views and stances on the issues, and because I disliked McCain's views. I won't deny that there are people who voted for Obama based solely on the fact that he is an African American, but I'd bet my life on it that there are probably just as many, if not more people who chose NOT to vote for him based solely on the fact that he's an African American. Not that I know enough people to have an accurate enough sample size to prove it's the case everywhere, but I know a lot more people who voted for McCain because Obama is an African American than people who voted for Obama because he's an African American. That might just be because I live in a state full of ignorant racists like you.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2008-11-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!