Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Any Zel members tried XNA development yet? (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49234)

Sum Yung Guy 2009-06-14 02:11 PM

Any Zel members tried XNA development yet?

I am downloading it right now, apparently you can create xbox live arcade games and sell them on xbox live. I've started downloading some of the more popular community created games and they are actually pretty good. Sounds like a great way to make money if you can make a fun addictive game.

Also Castle Crashers on xbox live arcade is teh bomb. (I got the alien hominid bonus character too)

Lenny 2009-06-14 02:43 PM

I downloaded it a week or so after it became available, thinking that I'd start learning how to program games using it, but I never got round to installing it. :(

It uses C#, right?

Goodlookinguy 2009-06-16 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 674824)
I downloaded it a week or so after it became available, thinking that I'd start learning how to program games using it, but I never got round to installing it. :(

It uses C#, right?

Yes, it uses C#.

SYG, if you have no programming experience, don't think you're just suddenly going to be an uber game programmer with a number 1 seller. In fact, programing a game takes a lot more work than a just programming a regular program. So learn that first, then you can move on from there.

Also SYG, you need Visual Studio 2008 or the free Visual C# compiler.

---------------
As far as XNA goes, it can be a little slow at times, and kind of seem bulky. However, it's a pretty good framework to work with.

--
Well, I'm off to bed for the night.

!King_Amazon! 2009-06-16 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlookinguy (Post 675036)
Yes, it uses C#.

SYG, if you have no programming experience, don't think you're just suddenly going to be an uber game programmer with a number 1 seller. In fact, programing a game takes a lot more work than a just programming a regular program. So learn that first, then you can move on from there.

Also SYG, you need Visual Studio 2008 or the free Visual C# compiler.

---------------
As far as XNA goes, it can be a little slow at times, and kind of seem bulky. However, it's a pretty good framework to work with.

--
Well, I'm off to bed for the night.

God damn you sound high and mighty.

Grav 2009-06-16 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 675037)

When you don't have much to be proud of you tend to overemphasize the few things you do have.

Thanatos 2009-06-16 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 675037)

Doesn't he always?

Goodlookinguy 2009-06-16 11:49 PM

I was just writing from a realistic standpoint on the issue. That's all. Calm down you two and stop spamming the thread with your crap.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-06-17 06:29 AM

I took C++ all through highschool and I have programmed a number of 2d games. I went to youth bootcamp for 6 months when I was 16 and with no access to electronics, I just wrote all the lines of code for a game into a notebook. When I finally got home I was able to compile it after a few error corrections.

Goodlookinguy 2009-06-17 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum Yung Guy (Post 675059)
I took C++ all through highschool and I have programmed a number of 2d games. I went to youth bootcamp for 6 months when I was 16 and with no access to electronics, I just wrote all the lines of code for a game into a notebook. When I finally got home I was able to compile it after a few error corrections.

Oh, so you have programming experience. That's great then. Keep in mind though, this is C#, pointers and certain other things like certain operator overloading do not work the same in C#. I think you'll get around to it pretty quick though. Oh, and make sure to read up tuts on getting started with XNA, because it is a little strange to begin with. Once you wrap your head around it, though, it's pretty simple.

Also, make sure to get your developers license if you want to sell things for the PC and Xbox360.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-06-17 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlookinguy (Post 675064)
Oh, so you have programming experience. That's great then. Keep in mind though, this is C#, pointers and certain other things like certain operator overloading do not work the same in C#. I think you'll get around to it pretty quick though. Oh, and make sure to read up tuts on getting started with XNA, because it is a little strange to begin with. Once you wrap your head around it, though, it's pretty simple.

Also, make sure to get your developers license if you want to sell things for the PC and Xbox360.

Thanks for the pointers. Once I get my new system up and running me and my brother in law are gonna start working on the XNA stuff. (He is an outstanding 3d modeler and programmer.)