Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   RPGMaker (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Why projects fail. (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44579)

Atnas 2008-02-11 02:38 PM

Why projects fail.

There are so many people out there who say, "I'm gonna make a game, dammit!"

Less than one percent make it to a demo, even less to a full game. It's probably only in the hundreds.

Now, I want to hear what you guys think on the topic.

In my opinion it's over optimism. People want this awesome game better than the latest squenix release. That leads them to ultimate failure.

I think it's the projects whose developers manage their resources and time realistically who actually succeed.

What are your thoughts?

Lenny 2008-02-11 02:44 PM

Lack of time has scuppered a couple for me, and a drop in confidence has often done it - I start with a super-fantastic idea, start building, and a few days later I lose confidence... and the optimism, I guess: "Fook me, this is far too big for me. Bugger it for a lark".

Atnas 2008-02-11 03:29 PM

The main reason my projects fail is because I realize about a week in that all I've done is a large portion of graphics, and that I have no other skills save writing and a little scripting. And all my ideas involve completely custom graphics. XD

I also don't want to work with a team so I'm pretty much screwed.

I'm planning on learning more scripting this year and actually sticking with a project instead of going on to another one.

talentedhamster 2008-02-11 03:37 PM

i think its cause people get bored, or overwhelmed. but thats just me.

KagomJack 2008-02-11 11:28 PM

I just suffer from short attention span.

Vault Dweller 2008-02-12 02:21 AM

I'm easily distracted by games that already exist.

I do think I may have come across the project I'm meant to see through to the end, though. Just have to find some tech-savvy persons to actually design it.

Goodlookinguy 2008-02-12 07:58 AM

I think that all of the reasons posted above put together state why none of them ever get done.

Michael_sama 2008-02-17 09:07 PM

Either that or the person creating it isn’t very good at it, like me for instance. I have a comical fantasy story, but no tools to create it. I started working on it, but it gets to the point where I eventually become tired with all the switches and I still haven’t spent the time to figure out variables (very important for certain scripts).

Yet, with the new game my brother and I are working on, I promise you, it’s not that, “We’re going making a game,” thing. It will be done, or I’ll pull my hair out! I haven’t finished a game before, so I would dishonor myself if I didn’t complete it.

talentedhamster 2008-02-17 09:11 PM

well props to you for even trying to start

Michael_sama 2008-02-17 09:21 PM

You meant, “What prompts you from trying to start?” or possibly what I would have said, “What is the initial jump that begets the construction?”

It all boils down to the ideal, and it’s so fantastic that the creator forgets about reality and time management to finish the project.

Atnas 2008-02-18 09:43 AM

I think she meant, "well props to you for even trying to start"

talentedhamster 2008-02-18 10:30 AM

yea. as in like, good job?

Michael_sama 2008-02-18 09:55 PM

The way you present your words does not make any sense at all. I will say nothing more, and I will nod my head as if I understand.

*Nod*

Coriander 2008-02-18 10:19 PM

Well i will try to explain it.. Props is basically a word used to say "Congratulations to you for doing something"...

talentedhamster 2008-02-19 12:41 PM

yea. i dont get how you dont get it.

Willkillforfood 2008-02-19 04:08 PM

I don't get how you don't get how he doesn't get it.

talentedhamster 2008-02-19 05:10 PM

shut up please

Michael_sama 2008-02-20 02:28 PM

Props is slang, and I disregard that kind of language since it sounds so utterly stupid.

That’s why I will simply nod.

Demosthenes 2008-02-20 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_sama
Props is slang, and I disregard that kind of language since it sounds so utterly stupid.

Oh God...

Not another one of those.

talentedhamster 2008-02-20 03:01 PM

yea SRSLY