Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Rant: Broken sig pics. (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2670)

WetWired 2002-04-23 09:07 AM

Rant: Broken sig pics.

Why is it that some of the biggest posters here can't keep thier sig pic working? I'm getting tired of seeing vertical space being hogged by a little grey box with a red X in it. How hard is it to reallize that your sig pic isn't working? Do you not even glance at your posts after you post them? Do you not notice that your earlier posts don't look quite right? Or do you have your sig on your hard drive so you're the only one who can see it? This really gets on my nerves, so fix your sig pics, or remove them.

I can offer some help to the clueless
In order to have a properly working sig pic, follow these steps:
  1. Create or have someone make you a sig pic in JPG or GIF format. BMP format is no good, it must be JPG or GIF
  2. Acquire a free hosting service, such as GeoCities. If you already have a free account somewhere, great
  3. Rename your sig pic file to the extention .txt (that's right, we're making things think this is a text file)
  4. Upload your sig to your free webspace; how you do this varies by your free hosting service. If you're using Geocities, goto geocities.com, sign in, then click on File Manager on the right and go from there
  5. Go into your profile and add an [img] tag to your sig (eg. http://www.geocities.com/wetwired/sig.txt); remember that it's extention is .txt
  6. Go to a previous post you have made and verify that your sig pic shows up correctly
Is that really so hard?
--WetWired

PozerPunk 2002-04-23 10:21 AM

Good job.

One correction though, don't use Geocities. It blows ass.

Go to www.shinehost.com or www.yoursighost.com to host your pics.

Out of those two choices I recommend Shinehost because it's never been down, and it's VERY simple to use. The only problem with YourSigHost is that sometime it will not recognize the type of Pic you are trying to upload, even though it may very well be a valid type of file. (IE - .jpg or .gif)

:D

-PozerPunk (www.shinehost.com)

WetWired 2002-04-23 10:38 AM

Yes, Geocities sucks for hosting a web site, but I've never seen it down. I used to have my web site there, but I got ultimate hook ups and never have to mess with ads, poor service, or size limitations again. :D

Edit: 
Ouch...only 200k on shinehost? What kinda site can you fit in 200k?

If you're putting a sig pic there, and you follow my instructions, then your troubles will be minimal.
--WetWired

PozerPunk 2002-04-23 01:19 PM

Quote:

Ouch...only 200k on shinehost? What kinda site can you fit in 200k?
You don't need to fit a site in there...

Just your sig-pic.

:p

-PozerPunk (Don't get wires wet)

WetWired 2002-04-23 01:39 PM

Quote:

(Don't get wires wet)
Actually the name itself, though not the concept, comes from a movie called Johnny Mnemonic (spelling?). It refers to a method of interfacing digital signals from a computer to the brain.

So essentially, my online persona claims to interface directly to computers, even though I myself don't (though it sometimes seems to be that way)
--WetWired

Wiccan][V][asta 2002-04-23 01:40 PM

Mine works fine it's just that you need to copy paste the URL... read under the freaking sig...

WetWired 2002-04-23 01:43 PM

Read my instructions again. If you have a free host, rename the image .txt, and it'll work right. And yes, you are one of the people I'm talking about.

And if you know it doesn't display, then just display the URL, don't put it in an img tag
--WetWired

Wiccan][V][asta 2002-04-23 01:59 PM

yeah too bad it didn't work for me... from 50megs

PozerPunk 2002-04-23 02:18 PM

That's cause 50 megs sux0rs.

Use Shinehost or Yoursighost.

They r0x0rs.

-PozerPunk (Just a suggestion)

WetWired 2002-04-23 02:20 PM

:rolleyes: then find someplace else.

Here, I'll host it for you.
Edit: 
Looks like you found a new host already, so you don't need me to host it ;)

So now you have no excuse, 'kay?
--WetWired

User Name # 1 2002-04-23 02:24 PM

these kinds of site don't like to be linked from other pages without going through themselves (with adds). I guess that's why all files like .jpg/ .gif/ .exe and so don't works. And i think that the texte file are ok; I like your idea to change the extension into .txt !!!
but i fixed it now.

Wiccan][V][asta 2002-04-23 02:31 PM

I couldn't get the .txt trick to work so I used some servier Pozer reccomended to me. Worked fine. :)

PozerPunk 2002-04-23 02:39 PM

Yippie!

Gold for me! :D

And Wiccan, now you can get rid of the part of your sig that says:
Quote:

(you need to copy paste the URL to see my sig)

-PozerPunk (I'm much too helpful these days)

Wiccan][V][asta 2002-04-23 02:40 PM

lol how true.. check your gold

JohnnyTAE 2002-04-23 09:41 PM

I could host sum sigs if anyone wants me to

JRwakebord 2002-04-24 11:55 AM

shinehost worx for me, id suggest it for those that dont have hosts yet

Teddybearian 2002-04-25 03:51 PM

thanx now it should work

JohnnyTAE 2002-04-25 06:46 PM

It isn't :( want me to host it jus pm me

WetWired 2002-04-26 06:35 AM

Teddybearian, it should be just .txt , not .txt.gif . All the free hosts check the last extention.

Browsers appear to be smart enough to figure out that it's really a picture, especially when the img tag says so ;)
--WetWired

RoboticSilence 2002-05-06 09:08 PM

Shinehost = Dead
Use yoursighost.