Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Programming Tasks for GLG (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49608)

Lenny 2009-07-21 12:58 PM

Programming Tasks for GLG

You claim to be a good programmer who knows seventeen languages (nine fluently), but none of us have really seen this in action. So we have decided to set you three tasks to complete, and prove you're worth your salt.

Your tasks, if you choose to accept them (in which case I'll post full specifications) are:

1. Program seven basic data structures, which a command line interface that allows you to add data to all seven (from a file or within the interface) and display them in the command line.

2. Build a program that takes a list of vertices linked by edges and creates from them a graph, upon which various actions can be performed. Again, this should have a command line interface, and display the graph in the command line.

3. Build a program that suits an office environment. It must have a calendar, text editing package and a drawing application. It must also include an instant messenger that works over a network and the Internet, which allows sharing and collaborative use of the three applications above, as well as a multiplayer game or two for when the workers are bored.

- Either one or both of tasks #1 or #2 MUST be written in Java.
- Task #3, and the non-Java task can be written in any language (other than the web-based ones. The cloud is a brilliant thing, but we don't want it cluttered up with programs that deal solely with data structures or simple graph theory).

Do you accept?

---

A note to other members: if you want to add anything to task #3, I'm still accepting submissions.

We've got a Tech HELP forum, and a Tech NEWS forum, but not a Tech TECH forum! It makes Lenny sad. :(

!King_Amazon! 2009-07-21 01:01 PM

This should be entertaining.

Grav 2009-07-21 01:31 PM

GLG disappears for a few months

D3V 2009-07-21 01:32 PM

I would like to see the outcome of this.

This appeals to my interests.

!King_Amazon! 2009-07-21 01:37 PM

Just curious, how many people were in on this other than me?

D3V 2009-07-21 03:27 PM

I did not submit any challenges since I have no education in programming.

!King_Amazon! 2009-07-21 03:45 PM

I didn't either.

-Spector- 2009-07-21 04:42 PM

Is he hiding?

Thanatos 2009-07-21 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 678931)

same

not bullshit

Skurai 2009-07-21 11:49 PM

GLG'll show up!
He's got too... I'm sure he wasn't lying, since he was so helpful in the RPG maker forums...^_^

Lenny 2009-07-22 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V (Post 678931)

Which is why none of you have any say on the first two tasks. ;)

The third task is the one that you can all add to - think of things you'd see on an office computer, or tasks you do in an office and would like a program for. Or even just things you'd like a program to do, which you could get away with in an office (like a countdown timer that works out how long you have until the drugs are out of your system).

Asamin 2009-07-22 11:07 AM

This couldn't be.... naw.... you guys wouldn't make GLG make these programs for your own gain. Plus, he is currently programming an iPhone app. so I think that is enough.

Lenny 2009-07-22 11:14 AM

For our own gain? Hardly. Tasks #1 and #2 are pretty useless, and the program for task #3 contains far too much fluff to be useful in everyday life - all three are simply there to test his programming skills.

A programmer can have multiple things on the go - I'm currently programming an Ant-Farm, a drag-and-drop programming tool, and working on an assignment. I've done the first two tasks over the course of the first year of my degree, and when the final specification is decided, I'll also program the third task.

Some of my friends want me to program a couple of iPhone/iPod Touch apps for their gain, too.

Multiple projects keeps things from going stale.

D3V 2009-07-22 11:17 AM

It looks like we aren't going to have to, the codemaster is missing.

Lenny 2009-07-22 11:20 AM

Nah, he's lurking - last activity was a few hours ago.

He's always around at the weekend, too.

Skurai 2009-07-22 12:26 PM

Codemaster...?
GLG, right? Yeah, I've noticed he lurks alot more then posts. :rolleyes:

!King_Amazon! 2009-07-22 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skurai (Post 679011)
then

than.

D3V 2009-07-22 01:13 PM

!King does not need a ! before King.

Skurai 2009-07-22 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 679012)
than.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Jessifer 2009-07-23 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 678917)
Just curious, how many people were in on this other than me?

I was in on it, though I have little to contribute.