Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   phpBB forums (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46626)

Kazilla 2008-08-28 07:16 PM

phpBB forums

How hard is it to set one of these up? Do you need a computer set aside to run solely as a server? As you can probably tell im not very intellectually gifted when it comes to these, so. im interested in getting a too human forum set up. If even just for my sweet eyes ;). Toohuman.net is a giant clusterfuck with everything you could think of everywhere - with alot of stupid ideas in their thread make up.

So yea, how hard is phpBB to set up?

WetWired 2008-08-28 07:39 PM

You need a computer with php and mysql. You need to create a mysql database, copy a folder, and put the mysql login in a config file. You could run it off your own computer, but that would mean leaving your computer on all the time and probably bad performance for users while you're gaming. If you plan for it to go anywhere, you're better off with a webhosting plan.

Kazilla 2008-08-28 07:41 PM

i dont do much gaming, and i never turn my computer off so that actually isnt a bad idea. Although webhosting would be ideal, im sure which costs some money yea? Is php and mysql something you could learn over a weeks time? given proper instruction

WetWired 2008-08-28 07:46 PM

There's really no need to learn them, you just have to install them.

Kazilla 2008-08-28 07:50 PM

so its as easy as filling in information into a box and it lays the rest out for you? do you have a readme link or phpbb for idiots link laying around somewhere? id like to know what im doing before i do it.

quikspy67 2008-08-28 08:23 PM

If you want it as big as this community your going to have to advertise your ass off.

Kazilla 2008-08-28 09:04 PM

nah, im not looking to take anything away from zelaron. it would be solely for too human. unless later on in the future i decide to change it. i think ill draw up a plan in msword and see how it looks

Goodlookinguy 2008-08-28 09:54 PM

If you're looking for cheap and efficient, go through BlueHost.com ($6/mo.) - MySQL, php, Ruby on the Rails, blah, blah, blah

As far as phpBB goes, it's literally as easy as step 1, step 2, step 3, step etc.

Though, like WetWired said, you will have to create a database and know the information.

Username: ...
Password: ...
Database: ...

It's really pretty easy. I could host you on my server. The website url would be up to you, if you want a sub domain or buy a domain, not from Go Daddy, please.

Kazilla 2008-08-28 09:57 PM

what would you need from me if you were to host it?

quikspy67 2008-08-28 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazilla (Post 648987)
nah, im not looking to take anything away from zelaron. it would be solely for too human. unless later on in the future i decide to change it. i think ill draw up a plan in msword and see how it looks

I didn't say anything about taking anything away from Zelaron, I'm just saying if you want the same amount of members, advertise your ass off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quikspy67
If you want it as big as this community your going to have to advertise your ass off.

Yeah definately didn't say anything about that.

Kazilla 2008-08-28 10:28 PM

just figured that was what you were implying. but yea - idk how big id want it to be, just have to see how much information i can throw out, and how clean and efficient i can make it look. Clean + Easy to Navigate + Information Overload = a winning forum.

Goodlookinguy 2008-08-28 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazilla (Post 648999)
what would you need from me if you were to host it?

As I stated previously.

A) Buy a Domain on your own and change the DNS to point at my server ("YourSite.com" You have to pay a little bit-a money.)
B) I make a sub domain ("yoursite.MySite.com" Free for me and you)

quikspy67 2008-08-29 02:21 AM

I hear from GameCube that its cheap.

Kazilla 2008-08-29 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlookinguy (Post 649012)
You have to pay a little bit-a money.

alrighyt well, ill have to wait till i get a job - not much extra money laying around.

Chruser 2008-08-29 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazilla (Post 649029)
alrighyt well, ill have to wait till i get a job - not much extra money laying around.

The cost for a .com, .net or .org domain is generally in the $8 - $14 per year range.

Kazilla 2008-08-29 08:15 PM

yea, that sounds like very little but - we are living on 1 income atm and scrounging up change any which way we can.. so 8-10 dollars is actually alot