Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Science and Art (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=344)
-   -   Khunian Revolutions (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43484)

Demosthenes 2007-09-26 04:05 PM

Khunian Revolutions

I'm just trying to think of all the one's there have been, so if you can think of any more please list them for me. So far I've got:

Galileo (Astronomy)
Newton (Physics)
Darwin (Evolution)
Mendel (Genetics)
Maxwell (Electrostatics)
Einstein (Special Relativity, General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics)

If you don't know what a Khunian revolution is, it's basically a paradigm change, a paradigm basically being the basis that other theories are formed on. So for instance, Einstein's theory of relativity replaced Newtonian relativity. Newton's theories replaced the ancient God theories, and other theories of planetary motion, kinematics and everything else were built off of that. I'm writing a paper arguing against the notion of Khunian revolutions being common-place for my English class. Any more ideas would be awesome.

Kaneda 2007-09-26 04:14 PM

What do you mean common place? As if those people are everywhere or born every day? If so, that's an absured notion. It's so obvious in everyday life that 90% of the population are simply idiots.

Demosthenes 2007-09-26 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneda
What do you mean common place? As if those people are everywhere or born every day? If so, that's an absured notion. It's so obvious in everyday life that 90% of the population are simply idiots.

Well, I mean the revolution itself being common-place, not the scientists. And by commonplace I mean multiple revolutions in a common mans life time. For instance, if the laws of thermodynamics were shown to be inaccurate, that would be a scientific revolution.

Vollstrecker 2007-09-26 04:34 PM

What about the discovery of the Atom, as well as some of Tesla's research? I know both of those made some big waves, but I don't know if they're big enough to be considered a revolution.

Willkillforfood 2007-09-26 11:57 PM

What about some great Philosophers?

Demosthenes 2007-09-27 12:47 AM

Well, philosophers are great, but I doubt that any of them really contributed much to a scientific revolution, which is what I'm after in this paper. Volls, I'll look into those two and see if I can incorporate them. Thanks.

Willkillforfood 2007-09-27 05:18 PM

I'm sure an argument could be made for it but I'm too lazy. *gives up* =P

Grav 2007-09-27 09:18 PM

You may be able to find something similar if you look up Auguste Comte. He postulated that the science of a time period represented a certain stage of history. Very basically, he said Theological Stage -> Metaphysical Stage -> Scientific Stage -> Sociological Stage

Vollstrecker 2007-09-28 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willkillforfood
What about some great Philosophers?

I think he's looking more for Physical/Biological/etc sciences rather than Social Sciences.

Vault Dweller 2007-09-30 09:13 PM

Copernicus - I'm pretty sure Kuhn used that example in the book, though.