Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Help (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   's' button failure! (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51015)

Kazilla 2012-10-06 11:48 PM

's' button failure!

My s button is starting to fail on my laptop. Not sure what caused it or what is going on.

Basically 2 things are happening.

1. Either there is a huge delay between pushing the key, and the computer processing that its been pushed.

2. The key just plain sticks. (most noticeable in WoW where if you tap s to back up, your character continues to move.)

Anyone know what could be the causes, possible fixes, and or solutions?

Skurai 2012-10-08 10:04 AM

My . button on my computer won't work sometimes, and it really pisses me off. I think j and h, too. @_@

-Spector- 2012-10-08 12:46 PM

Replace the keyboard on the laptop? They aren't very expensive.

kaos 2012-10-08 04:57 PM

If it's just the 'S' button doing that you can rule out the first reason.

Wallow 2012-10-08 07:27 PM

Remove the keyboard, inspect/clean the undersurface, replace it if need be.

Skurai 2012-10-08 10:36 PM

I had no idea you could remove the keyboard /and put them back in/. Is there a safe, easy instruction on how to do this?

kaos 2012-10-09 07:33 PM

You can also pop off the keys from the top side on some keyboards. Learned that from a 2 year old :facepalm:.

Skurai 2012-10-09 07:38 PM

How do I get them all the time?
What.
How do I get them back on??

kaos 2012-10-09 08:11 PM

Eh... that part we couldn't figure out.

Lenny 2012-10-09 08:24 PM

Ho, getting keys back onto a laptop keyboard is a bastard. Generally, there's a hinged clip that connects to four tiny metal connectors where the key sits on the keyboard. If you look at the back of the key (having put the clip on the keyboard), you might see a couple of clips that connect it to the hinged clip. Assuming the hinged clip is in the correct position, you should be able to snap the key back on top of it.

Things like the shift key and the spacebar, and anything else that takes up more space, may have a metal bar connected to it that needs to be connected properly too. I don't think it's an issue with laptop, and laptop-style, keyboards, but on a desktop keyboard it's likely that the larger keys also have some form of spring attached to the metal bar.

Skurai 2012-10-10 09:18 AM

I'd rather just glue them back one, if it's that complex. :o

Kazilla 2012-10-10 10:20 PM

The keys on my keyboard pop off and on rather easily with just a little bit of effort. I have removed the all of the letter keys from my laptop, and removed the little casing? they sit in, and have cleaned out what I can. I inspected the rubber piece underneath the key and it appears to be fine.

I am leaning towards my best option is going to be replace the entire keyboard. To bad I have 0 funds right now, will have to wait, ah'well - thanks.